Yesterday a fairly well respected mommy blogger began a series of Tweets that went wild with retweets nearly from the second it was posted- TSA allegedly broke it’s own rule about never separating a parent and child, and ripped a baby from the arms of his distraught mother, taking him away from her and out of her sight for a full 10 minutes because of a pacifier clip that went off in the security checkpoint. She posted the very emotional story on her blog, describing in detail all that happened. Mothers were outraged, and everyone sympathized with her fury over this mistreatment as she called for heads to roll. She encouraged people to contact news organizations and TSA on her behalf.

This morning’s light however, showed a different story. A very, VERY different story.

Not to take this sitting down, TSA responded to the firestorm with the security footage of the Atlanta airport that morning. Footage that quite clearly shows that the incident detailed on her Twitter stream and blog never actually occurred.

Yes, she and her son were there. Yes, they were briefly detained and she was searched, but the mysterious phone call she made when the agents weren’t looking, the separation of mother and son..None of it is seen on the camera footage.

Footage which is clearly dated and timestamped, without any more than a second or two’s jump as they show film from the next camera when she moves.

Footage which ends with her clearly walking away with her son after she is searched with no lapse at all in time.

The best explanation she seems capable of offering in her response refers to things that supposedly aren’t shown (bolding for emphasis)-

in the video, it looks as though my son is playing happily in his stroller while i am being searched with a wand. obviously this is the big discrepancy with my story, since he was not in my sight at that time, and one that i too am thoroughly looking into. neither of the two phone calls i placed while seated in security are in the video either. what is shown in the video is incomplete as it leaves out when the security agent took my son to a separate area and out of my sight. this matter is one that is being handled between my family and the TSA.

In short, she seems to be accusing TSA of doctoring the footage. An extremely serious charge.

So what’s the real story? If TSA was covering this up, why? It’s not like they haven’t fucked up and had to apologize for things before. More likely, what motivation would she have for lying?

I have seen it mentioned several times now that some believe that she truly believed this happened, and that her anxiety caused her to hallucinate.

I find it more interesting that this is never the case when other bloggers online have been ousted as frauds. As Paul said in a comment on his post about this today, had this been a man who posted a story like this, he’d have been ripped to shreds by the blogging community, no questions asked. I’ve actually been a bit surprised at the huge number of people who have been quite adamant that this should be swept under the rug and allowed to blow over without comment.

I understand compassion, I understand wanting to protect your own, but I also understand the damage done to the credibility of the blogging community by bullshit publicity stunts like this.

I’m not trying to imply anything, but when you want to be taken seriously, you might not aught to be posting stuff like this on the internet less than 24 hours after the incident…

money2

crazymoney2

You wouldn’t want to look like you were…I dunno, trying to make money off something that caused you, in your own words, to have an anxiety attack and horribly traumatized you…

moneycrazy

It has dawned on me as I write this that it should be simple enough for Nic to prove at least part of her story is true, if she so choses- posting a picture of her call log would prove the calls she claims are missing from the security footage. I’m raising the suggestion, but I doubt it will be taken up.

Insanity indeed.

47 Comments on Why the @mybottlesup Story Really Chaps My Ass

1. Cara
    October 18, 2009 at 1:48 am (8 years ago)

Great post! I saw her tweets yesterday and it felt a little off to me. And the tweets about selling the story? Gave me the heebie jeebies. I wholeheartedly agree that this kind of exaggeration, to be kind, lying, to be more direct, discredits all bloggers.

2. Wisconsin Mommy
    October 18, 2009 at 1:54 am (8 years ago)

I guess I'm kinda "old school", but I still believe that lying is wrong. And when that lie hurts someone else or ruins a reputation, it is especially wrong.

3. Jurgen Nation
    October 17, 2009 at 8:56 pm (8 years ago)

I’m just now reading through this thanks to your Tweet. Wasn’t aware that it happened. And thanks for posting this because I also wasn’t aware of the fact that she was already supposedly entertaining offers from “publishers.”

I tried to leave a comment on her site and it looks now like comments are down and mine didn’t go through. Not that it matters because I’m just one person, but I’m disgusted by this so I’m including it here. Maybe she’ll see it.

First a kid goes up in some sort of balloon and the nation watches while holding their breath and praying for his safe return. And then it comes out that the parents are reality TV whores and want their own show.

Now you, a mother, fabricate a story that garners attention and compassion for you and, most assuredly, traffic to your site. And it’s fake. You didn’t think there would be video? I give you a lot of credit to actually address the issue here and not just take your site offline completely, but after reading it I don’t know why you didn’t just take the alternative route. You are contradicting what can be seen on video. You are lying.

You wanted attention and to be a star for a minute and you prostituted yourself and your son to do it. Your son. You paint the story as terrifying and emotional and traumatizing because he is YOUR SON and no mother should have to go through that. Clearly your son is at the forefront of your mind. But, not really though, right? Because if so, why use him so you can be an internet celebrity for a little while?

Perhaps it isn’t fair to peg that as your reasoning, but it certainly seems as if that is your motivation. Only thing is, you got caught.

I hope you are ashamed of yourself. I don’t know a single person who is happy about ramped up security or TSA requirements about our socks, what liquids we bring through, etc. Everyone hates it. But, guess what. It’s for a reason, which we all are painfully aware, and second, the agents themselves ARE DOING THEIR JOBS. Jobs, which a lot of us are fortunate to have in this economy. So for you to make up the story implicating the folks who are just trying to do their jobs every day – as big of an inconvenience it may seem to us who demand to be treated like royalty at all times – is absolutely vile. You were inconvenienced by having to stand around in a plastic box holding your son. Did you expect the entire line to be stopped while everyone attended to you? Did you need for the conveyor belts to stop moving, the line to stand still while you were helped? I think it’s fair to say that we’ve all had our fair share of hold ups at the airport, so hopefully you get over yourself next time and just deal with it like we all do.

I’ve never read you before and I never will again, but I guess part of what you set out for – more traffic, most likely – has been attained. Yay, you.

Tangential to the entire issue at hand, I’ve another bone of contention. You write that the gal who helped you by getting your things off the conveyor “must be a mother.” Really? Seriously? Why “must” she be? Only mothers act kindly to people? I am so sick of this characterization. Perhaps next time you make up a story, you omit this unnecessary bit because it makes no sense and is incredibly offensive to those of us who can’t or prefer not to have children, as if we in either category are missing some chip in ourselves that keeps us from being whole. To that I would kindly ask you to go to H.

To everything else? You are the worst kind of pathetic, trying to capitalize on people who truly care about others.

How does it feel to be an “internet celebrity”? You’ve attained it; hope you’re enjoying yourself. I hope your ad services drop you.

• liv
      October 20, 2009 at 7:03 pm (8 years ago)

you, my dear, were awesome. well said.

4. Cheryl
    October 18, 2009 at 2:24 am (8 years ago)

I think the call log is a fantastic idea! That would prove that she is lying or the tape has been doctored. Either way it would be definitive. I hope this doesn't end up on Oprah, this is the kind of thing that tarnishes (if it is false) bloggers reputations.

5. Rachel M.
    October 18, 2009 at 3:00 am (8 years ago)

I never heard about this blog until whispers of it started over at my end of the Twitter pond. When the story started I expected them to have been separated for hours, that maybe TSA had taken him away because they falsely thought she was a bad mother. When I finished I felt unfulfilled. That was it? She panicked to the point of hysterics over that? I guess I'm more trusting of my officials, yeah missing my flight would have been inconvenient but I would never have thought that the TSA would have ran off with my kid. I'm not a bad mom, why would they take my kid? Why was she assuming that they would take him away for good?

6. anon
    October 18, 2009 at 3:20 am (8 years ago)

Women never lie about anything. Women never make false accusations. Women are made of sugar and spice and everything nice. They are put through hell for any claim they make. Why would they endure that? So to make a claim IS to state the truth. She is telling the truth. Shame on you patriarchal pig.

7. Jeremy
    October 18, 2009 at 3:25 am (8 years ago)

This story is turning out to be great. She claims her site wasn't working due to traffic, this is clearly a lie. Anyone working in the internet industry can tell you that. Her 'apology' post had 33 comments on it, nearly all of them negative, she removed them and stopped allowing comments. She's really making herself look terrible on an international stage here. Also, she blames 'trolls' for her removing all the comments on her blog posts, yet she is the troll here. She made some very polarizing blog posts hoping to get an emotional response from her readers, and it was all completely dishonest. She's the only TROLL here…

8. Sheila (CSR)
    October 18, 2009 at 3:55 am (8 years ago)

I think this woman is bat shit crazy…and that really says a lot coming from me. Even when I read the story, before all this disputing evidence came out, I thought she was nuts for going so psycho.

Now that it seems she had some kind of Xanax induced delusional episode and is simply turning this into a media frenzy a la Dooce to garner attention, money and, oh boy, a book deal, I'm sick to my stomach.

And seriously? From the way she hyped it up, I thought they STILL had her kid in their custody.

Way to blow things out of proportion lady.

So glad I unfollowed her on twitter a while back so I didn't have to listen to her idiocy.

9. Huckdoll
    October 18, 2009 at 5:41 am (8 years ago)

Another desperate mommy blogger wanting attention? No WAY!

PS. I never heard about this before now … and this was an excellent way to hear it for the first time, lol.

10. Jamie E
    October 18, 2009 at 6:04 am (8 years ago)

Seems like the more people blog and tweet and comment and bitch about it, the more readers she will get. The old adage….no press is bad press? It all seems quite boring imho.

11. pamela
    October 18, 2009 at 7:21 am (8 years ago)

you know what? I never saw those tweets! and now i cant find them on the feed… hmm I admit that i was outraged when i read that post yesterday, just like every parent reading was. I was like shocked. I even got my husband to read it. Then I watched the video… didnt judge… then I read the apology. If she's lying.. just out with it already, for the fuckin sake of the bloggers community!

12. Ari Herzog
    October 18, 2009 at 3:26 pm (8 years ago)

How do you figure the responses would be different if Nic was a guy?

13. Jerseygirl89
    October 18, 2009 at 5:46 pm (8 years ago)

See, this is why I've been avoiding Twitter. I already know enough crazy people. I think her comments say everything we need to know about this story.

14. Lindsey
    October 18, 2009 at 6:04 pm (8 years ago)

Is this lady related to Balloon Boy's family?

15. Amysprite
    October 18, 2009 at 9:33 pm (8 years ago)

I believe she was wearing a knee brace, that is what the TSA found on her.

16. Elsbeth Hammond
    October 19, 2009 at 1:25 am (8 years ago)

This just gets worse and worse:

(1) The TSA has added a bunch of new videos from different angles for the remaining "they doctored the tape" people. Scroll down past the original post.

(2) Nic has deleted her Twitter account. Which doesn't surprise me too much, given that her own Tweets incriminated the hell out of her. Good move, Sara, with the screencaps.

If her story is at all true, she's sure as hell not acting like it.

17. Suburban Oblivion
    October 19, 2009 at 1:29 am (8 years ago)

Thanks, but the twitter account is still there-

I am hearing some of those tweets have since been removed, but I haven't tried to check, so that's just hearsay at this point.

18. Suburban Oblivion
    October 19, 2009 at 1:29 am (8 years ago)

Thanks, but the twitter account is still there-

19. Suburban Oblivion
    October 19, 2009 at 1:29 am (8 years ago)

Thanks, but the twitter account is still there-

20. Suburban Oblivion
    October 19, 2009 at 1:29 am (8 years ago)

Thanks, but the twitter account is still there-

21. Suburban Oblivion
    October 19, 2009 at 1:29 am (8 years ago)

Thanks, but the twitter account is still there-

22. Suburban Oblivion
    October 19, 2009 at 1:29 am (8 years ago)

Thanks, but the twitter account is still there-

23. Lee
    October 18, 2009 at 10:47 pm (8 years ago)

RT @LaineyGossip More civilian drama. But is this a hoax too? http://bit.ly/i6Q4N

24. Elsbeth Hammond
    October 19, 2009 at 9:18 pm (8 years ago)

My apologies. When I checked it before I got "That user name does not exist".

I've dug through, and yes, those tweets are still there:

""@JackiYo dunno if i'm goina blog about it… may pitch it to publications and go waaaay out with it. i dunno yet.
    9:57 PM Oct 15th from TweetDeck in reply to JackiYo"

"@culturalsavage @whymomdrinksrum i'm not posting shit. i'm writing a piece to be published much more widespread than my blog that get 6 hits.
    9:45 PM Oct 15th from TweetDeck "

"@antibob eh, i can put it on my blog, but get paid if someone picks up my story… MWUAHAHAHA…. pay me for my insanity!!!!
    9:52 PM Oct 15th from TweetDeck in reply to antibob"

"@heartmychloe full story can't be posted on my blog…. publishers want it.
    9:42 PM Oct 15th from TweetDeck in reply to heartmychloe"

"whoever wants my story on how TSA took my 18 month old son ENTIRELY out of my eyesight to "screen" him for his pacifer clip, email me
    8:40 PM Oct 15th from TweetDeck "

25. Debs
    October 19, 2009 at 8:47 pm (8 years ago)

Interesting reading about @mybottlesup story found through @subrbanoblivion Why the story Really Chaps My Ass – http://scrw.us/2ak

26. JChevais
    October 26, 2009 at 11:19 am (8 years ago)

I find this VERY disturbing.

But what I find even more disturbing is how this person possibily puts into question the credibility of the Violence Unsilenced site where I'm SURE that @mybottlesup wrote something up for that site.

Sigh.

27. rob
    October 26, 2009 at 12:16 pm (8 years ago)

She’s accused someone of rape, blogs about it but never pursued it. Considering she’s capable of lying about the TSA and accusing them of tamping with a video (a serious accusation), is it possible she lied about this as well?

28. jenny
    October 30, 2009 at 9:38 am (8 years ago)

Why are we all so sure she isn't going to be prosecuted after enough research to her motives is collected?

29. jjj
    November 3, 2009 at 9:58 am (8 years ago)

TSA blog has a twitter account and that's where they got wind of this. I'm sure they've collected all her tweets.