The last few days have been a bit rough in the blogosphere as many were rocked by finding out Nic, aka My Bottle’s Up fabricated a story regarding the TSA “kidnapping” her son for a full 10 minutes despite their clear policy to never separate a parent and child. With no hesitation do I use the word ‘fabricated’ because as of the time I write this post, TSA has updated their blog on this, and have now released ALL footage related to the incident, from every angle, and at no time was her son ever removed from her presence, period.

Oddly enough, the worst part in all this wasn’t finding out she lied. Yes, it was disturbing.ย  After all, before this, I followed Nic myself, and liked her sense of humor. I respected her.

Yet worse than discovering she lied was discovering how sadly apathetic the blogosphere could be.

People twittered saying she fucked up, leave it alone, why does anyone care?

Blog With Integrity, whose badge she displayed on her blog (no small irony there), posted a statement taking no stand at all.

Other bloggers blogged, many with no real opinion either.

It has actually gotten to the point that those of us choosing to voice our opinions are being called out, at times rather rudely.

This is truly disturbing beyond words to me that people actually think this doesn’t and shouldn’t affect them.

The blogosphere is at it’s heart a community. An incredibly diverse, rather disjointed and often dysfunctional family of sorts consisting of those who enjoy writing and sharing their lives and opinions with the world. There are relationships among bloggers, and between writers and readers that on some very basic level must contain an element of trust to be maintained. Writers must trust those they link to to be accurate, and readers must trust the content they are consuming and the emotional relationship they develop with the writer are what they are represented to be.

Trust which is shattered when a blogger chooses to lie to their audience and to their fellow bloggers. That breech of trust makes everyone question whether anyone they read or know online can be believed, and in the end that affects how the blogging community is perceived as a whole.

While one can argue a few bad apples shouldn’t spoil the barrel, I point to the Blogging With Integrity movement itself as a case in point. Clearly many ARE worried that the ethical lapses of a few could spoil it for us all for the pledge to even exist.

Bloggers are at a disadvantage to begin with in terms of credibility. Traditional journalists are assumed by their title to be strictly reporters, with no bias, and with all the resources and skills to fact-check everything before they put a piece to press. That they are human and naturally will be biased, and that many news pieces have been printed and retracted due to errors or untruths is of no consequence. At the end of the day, bloggers are people behind a screen, and are not considered reliable. (A fact I’ve seen many a blogger rail about.) One of the biggest difference between bloggers and journalists comes down to accountability. A reporter fucks up on their facts, they can get fired.

Who is the blogger accountable to?

In my opinion, we are all accountable to each other. The blogosphere is and should continue to be a self-policing entity. That doesn’t mean letting bad behavior go without comment for the sake of peace or ‘respect’. It means doing as we have for the most part always done, and calling out those who do things to damage the reputation of all of us involved- those who fabricate, those who plagiarize, those who attempt to take advantage of the community for their own personal gain.

That’s not to say this should be abused. There has been behavior this weekend that clearly crossed boundaries. It’s one thing to call someone out on your blog, it’s something else to potentially put someone in danger by posting things like their home address online. There is a difference between policing and vigilantism.

At the end of the day, all bloggers have are their reputations, both on their own and as part of the community they participate in. When one part of the structure becomes unstable, it throws off the balance for all the parts, not just those closest to the weak link.

The only way we can maintain our integrity as a whole is to be willing to take a stand, and not sweep things under the rug after we’ve shot the messenger. It is not just the wrong-doer’s reputation at stake here, it’s yours as well.

44 Comments on Think the Drama Doesn’t Affect You? Think Again.

1. Maria
    October 19, 2009 at 3:25 am (8 years ago)

Just to be clear, my comment was in response to this tweet:

@MommyMelee And some of us are not content to stick our heads up our asses while others damage the reputation of the blogging community.

NOT in response to you mentioning that the TSA blog updated their post.

Keeping my personal feelings about this matter to myself is not sticking my head up my ass. You have been rude and inflammatory about this issue. You got a rude response. Don't act like it came out of nowhere.

I don't owe anyone my personal response to this shitstorm. No one does.

Choosing not to jump into the fray is not apathy. My only regret is that I entered the conversation at all. I got mad, I said something I regret. But I'll own my words, even though you are clearly referencing them out of context.

2. Scattered Mom
    October 19, 2009 at 3:30 am (8 years ago)

I admit that it's things like this that kept me from jumping into the community when I started blogging years ago. Slowly, over time, I've become more involved. While I didn't know Nic or read her blog before this all happened, I admit that I was disturbed by the whole thing, especially at her tweets. The tone just doesn't match that of a traumatized mom. It sounds more like someone writing for personal gain.

Unfortunately, I can only control myself. Because of that I wrote this. http://cookienotes.blogspot.com/2009/09/i-believe

What would you suggest the blogging community could do? I'm curious.

3. momsmith
    October 19, 2009 at 3:36 am (8 years ago)

It absolutely affects all bloggers – thank you for this post!!! If we don't have our integrity, what else do we have?

4. Angel Smith
    October 19, 2009 at 3:37 am (8 years ago)

I don't think it should be swept under the rug-people should be held accountable for their actions.

But on the other hand, I know about it, I've formed an opinion, and I'm ready to move on accordingly. I don't know Nic and I don't understand why she would make this up. I've heard accusations of materialistic motives being bandied about but I really think if there was that much forethought into this, she would have recognized that her story could easily be proven false. I'd like to see an explanation or apology, but I am not in control of what she, or any other blogger or even person, does. I can only control what I do, and I'll just continue to be an honest blogger, so I can be sure this kind of fall from grace never happens to me.

5. Suburban Oblivion
    October 19, 2009 at 3:42 am (8 years ago)

Yes, let's be VERY clear on this. I don't believe it was out of context at all. I posted the link and said she was still a liar. @MommyGeekology said I was being rude for 'name calling'. She and I began a back and forth and you chose to jump in and give your two cents, the first of which was accusing me of shit-stirring, then continuing on to call me a bitch and a cunt.(One directly @, one to @MommyGeekology) So yes, you were getting very rude with me for voicing my opinions that she was a liar and I didn't care to have my head up my ass about this.

Just for the sake of clarity ya know.

"Do you REALLY want to blog in an atmosphere where you feel that your peers are REQUIRED to call you out on every lie, every mistake, every action taken without integrity?"

I would rather live in a world where I know I will be called out if I lie than a world where no one cares enough about themselves or each other to take a stand for what's right.

And I do think you are putting a bit more emphasis on REQUIRED than my post actually did.

6. April
    October 19, 2009 at 4:05 am (8 years ago)

I've expressed my opinion about the whole thing through a few Twitter posts and comments on other blogs. I guess I'm falling somewhere between apathy and lynch mob. I do care but not because of the damage she's doing to the blogger image…it's because of what she's doing to contribute to the idea that people who have some kind of mental disorder (in her case, anxiety) and are medicated are automatically liars, bad parents, drama queens, attention whores, etc.

I know *plenty* of people who have anxiety disorder, panic attacks, bipolar disorder, shit that's listed in sections of the DSM-IV-R that I've never even heard of…but NONE of them would even dream of creating such a bullshit story and taking it to this level. But because she mentioned Xanax, once again all of us medicated people are lumped together. Like I said on Facebook, this chick is batshit crazy…and I know crazy!

For people….oops, I mean bloggers…who think this doesn't affect them, here's a homework assignment for you. Browse some of the blogs that have posted about this. Read the comments. See what people are saying about ALL bloggers IN GENERAL based on this woman's actions. Then tell me it doesn't affect you.

The percentage of bloggers who are taken seriously is very small as it is. Then you get whack jobs like this making it even more difficult for those who really want to make it as a legit blogger-turned-writer.

As far as the tweet calling Sara a cunt….NICE. Real classy. You kiss your mother with that mouth?

Oh, and the personal info stuff…not condoning it or anything but if someone was really thinking about doing anything and wanted that info, it would take them all of about 2 minutes to find it themselves. Her domain registration isn't private. It was still a shitty move to post it though.

7. celeste
    October 19, 2009 at 4:05 am (8 years ago)

I for one cannot understand why anyone would post something like that. If one is writing a piece of fiction then everyone should know that . She should remove the badge because in my opinion she violated it.

8. Suburban Oblivion
    October 19, 2009 at 4:12 am (8 years ago)

And with one comment you embody everything I just wrote about.

Thanks for your thoughts. ๐Ÿ™‚

9. Sara Rausch
    October 18, 2009 at 11:15 pm (8 years ago)

Re: @MommyMelee dm of link http://bit.ly/4y4i0l – this is life. Things happen. We get over it and move on. It isn't apathy, it's maturity.

10. Paul OFlaherty
    October 19, 2009 at 4:23 am (8 years ago)

It's a remarkably narrow view of the world to believe that the actions of a few can't and don't have an affect on everybody in the community.

Cities and towns can get a bad reputation due to the actions of a handful of people, it's not as if the mass populace is doing it.

We as a group are judged by the actions of our peers and it's events like this that stick out in the minds of others… To simply sweep it away and ignore it is to doom history to be repeated. But with a little discussion and openness, maybe some good can come out of this for everybody rather than just ignoring it and hoping it will do away.

You want an example of how this stuff affects us all? For those people who choose to monetize their blogs it's events like this that make them think twice about associating their brand with bloggers… It may not have an immediate impact but in the long term, if the blogosphere doesn't get it's act together it will.

And there is no time like the present for talking ๐Ÿ™‚

11. Suburban Oblivion
    October 19, 2009 at 4:39 am (8 years ago)

Yes, let’s be VERY clear on this. I don’t believe it was out of context at all. I posted the link and said she was still a liar. @MommyGeekology said I was being rude for ‘name calling’. She and I began a back and forth and you chose to jump in and give your two cents, the first of which was accusing me of shit-stirring, then continuing on to call me a bitch and a cunt.(One directly @, one to @MommyGeekology) So yes, you were getting very rude with me for voicing my opinions that she was a liar and I didn’t care to have my head up my ass about this.

Just for the sake of clarity ya know.

“Do you REALLY want to blog in an atmosphere where you feel that your peers are REQUIRED to call you out on every lie, every mistake, every action taken without integrity?”

I would rather live in a world where I know I will be called out if I lie than a world where no one cares enough about themselves or each other to take a stand for what’s right.

12. Suburban Oblivion
    October 19, 2009 at 4:39 am (8 years ago)

Just for the sake of clarity ya know.

13. Steven Hodson
    October 19, 2009 at 4:41 am (8 years ago)

time to get out the cranky pen because this kind of crap should not be tolerated let alone seemingly condoned the way that seems to be. It's amazing how Motrin or some other company screws up and everyone gets their courage up to bash the hell out of them. However when some blogger – male or female it doesn't matter – perpetrates a fraud everyone all oh woes me and be nice and give the blogger a break.

Bullshit on that.

14. Suburban Oblivion
    October 19, 2009 at 4:48 am (8 years ago)

Just for the sake of clarity ya know.

15. Maria
    October 19, 2009 at 4:58 am (8 years ago)

Actually, since the videos came out, very VERY few people have condoned her. Less than ten? Even her very good friends are calling her out. The only blog post I've seen openly supporting her was written by a young man. It's not that I disagree with the overall points being made in this post, but it feels highly unwarranted given the enormous amount of backlash and the sheer number of posts calling Nic White out.

While many bloggers have jumped on the bandwagon of picking this apart as if it's the first time in the history of blogging that someone has lied, I find the more interesting posts to be the ones from Nic's friends, most of whom are hurt and confused and angry. They're sharing their emotions and betrayal, not pointing fingers because it feels good to say "LIAR!"

I'm far more interested in reading how someone was personally affected by the irresponsible actions of another than reading post after post after post about how what Nic did was wrong. *Obviously* it was wrong.

16. Suburban Oblivion
    October 19, 2009 at 5:00 am (8 years ago)

I don't think I have ever implied you personally were either apathetic or supportive of her, and you supporting her would be your prerogative . Being full of them myself I don't begrudge anyone their opinions whether I agree with them or not.

I quoted you because of the very rude responses you posted to my giving MY opinion.

17. Paul OFlaherty
    October 19, 2009 at 5:08 am (8 years ago)

Maria, this is not about one subsection of bloggers. This is about ALL of us. Tech, sports, political, mommy bloggers and more…

And no, your silence on the matter is not being seen as support.. Your lambasting of others for choosing to talk about and discuss this may be construed as support.

Yes we should all get back to what we do, but we should all learn a little something from this and keep it in mind in order to prevent it happening again or to at least minimize the impact.

According to reports in Eye On Annapolis, this entire story nearly made it as the lead on I believe MSNBC (Not sure if thats the correct network I'm working from memory)… that would have been devastating for all of us if they led with the "Blogger accuses TSA of snatching child".. because you know they wouldn't single her out as a mommyblogger.

Sweeping it under the rug helps nobody, neither does whipping a dead horse. But discussion has to occur at some point so that we can prevent/avoid or at least minimize damage from this kind of shitstorm in the future.

18. Maria
    October 19, 2009 at 5:09 am (8 years ago)

Yep, I got upset and got rude. You are self-proclaimed as NSFW and have an edgy blogging personality. That's no excuse for saying that you were acting like a cunt. While I've been avoiding talking about all this, I've been bottling up a lot of negative emotions and they blasted out in one tweet. This is me owning that.

Like I've said in comments below, I simply do not see how the message of this post is relevant to this situation. A small handful of people, myself NOT included, have supported Nic despite the evidence seen in the TSA's videos. Meanwhile, hundreds–thousands if you combine the comments on every outlet–have "stood up for what's right." Or, like you mentioned, gone absolutely overboard.

I have seen a total of ONE post full of, like you mentioned on Twitter, rainbows and sparkles.

The implication you've made is that silence is apathy. So, one is thus required to share their feelings or else be labeled apathetic, or worse–supportive of highly inappropriate actions. I take offense at that. (Thus the tacky name calling.)

I've chosen not to tweet about this or blog about it because I'm upset and I'm not ready to talk about how I feel. The comments I have made have been criticism over the tone taken by trolls and by those who are making sweeping generalizations about those with emotional problems and whether or not they are fit to have custody of their children.

Again, I see little or no evidence of people being apathetic or not standing up for their feelings. And the integrity issue has been brought up in the past MANY times before. I think most people are in agreement or already have some sort of fairly well-formed opinion on the matter. We didn't need the TSA to not steal Nic's baby to figure that out.

19. Maria
    October 19, 2009 at 5:15 am (8 years ago)

You did imply that my stance was having my "head up my ass." In addition, today I received several DMs asking me why I was supporting her. It wasn't all about you, but I can see how I came across that way. This whole thing has been crazy and I think messages have gotten really mixed.

You have been highly aggressive from the start in pursuing this, including shooting down people who were just trying to cut down the ugliness. I am sorry that my reaction was a little over the top, but hey. I'm leaving my tweet out there. I'm not above spazzing out once in a while.

20. Paul OFlaherty
    October 19, 2009 at 5:18 am (8 years ago)

It's not about it feeling good to call people a liar, it's about fixing some obvious problems with the community, the blogosphere as a whole and descerning how and if we are to be held, or hold each other responsible for actions that reflect upon all of us.

Until that is realised, this will all revolve around "Nic" and defending her or calling her out and everyone will avoid the real opportunity here. An opportunity to use this event as a catalyst for a much needed discussion.

21. Paul OFlaherty
    October 19, 2009 at 5:20 am (8 years ago)

Sara is very confrontational at the best of times ๐Ÿ™‚ I have the bruises to prove it ๐Ÿ™‚ LOL

22. Suburban Oblivion
    October 19, 2009 at 5:21 am (8 years ago)

LOL..I'm highly aggressive in most things I am passionate about, just ask Paul. Welcome to my world. You'll understand me better as time goes on, we are still new. ๐Ÿ˜‰

23. @ThePriss
    October 19, 2009 at 5:27 am (8 years ago)

Yeah… probably why, when my friends tell me I should write, I am reminded of what "community" means these days. It's a wonder I'm not a shut-in.

24. @ThePriss
    October 19, 2009 at 5:27 am (8 years ago)

Yes, the woman is a liar who preyed on the symathies of others purely for self-promotion and attention with no regard as to how this could hurt anyone else. Like the TSA agents who could lose their jobs for a fuck-up they didn't commit. And this woman gets the same benefits as the other bloggrs. That is, plain and simple, bullshit.

I'd never make it in, though. My political views were always enough to keep me out, and seeing how things are, that's decidedly a good thing.

25. charmingbitch
    October 19, 2009 at 9:54 am (8 years ago)

Not agreeing with someone's approach is not lambasting them for choosing to speak; it's disagreeing with the approach.

Not agreeing with someone's approach or presentation isn't losing the message in semantics; it's disagreeing with someone's approach or presentation.

Calling into question her ability to parent, referring to her as psychotic and implying she is an addict isn't furthering the discussion beyond Nicole. It is purposefully keeping it about Nicole and your reaction to Nicole, not concern for the ''community'' at large.

As is writing multiple posts specifically about Nicole (and tweeting and re-tweeting those same posts), commenting on many,many other posts specifically about Nicole, preening about being quoted in those same posts about Nicole and calling her a liar and money seeker at every opportunity. In fact, that is not even wholly about Nicole; that is, at least in part, making it about you. Not you as part of a greater community but about you, personally.

If nothing else, all of the above behaviors do indicate that some bloggers are in it solely and only for themselves and their own personal gain. Indignation over Nicole's assumed greed or attention seeking isn't credible when every effort is being made to draw and keep the interest on yourself, your opinions and your blogs without presenting any actual solutions for the alleged ''bigger picture'' and shutting down all attempts at discussion (and pointedly ignoring questions asked to further the conversation past, ''She sucks!11!!'') with mockery and derision. That isn't being passionate, it's being self serving.

26. Rebecca
    October 19, 2009 at 11:29 am (8 years ago)

The question is really, Why are YOU getting so upset?

I hate to point it out to you, but you don't choose your readers, they choose you. So to say that you are accountable to your readers, that may or may not include people you don't like or want. That also includes people who's opinions on what is right and wrong may be VASTLY different than your own (as you already know).

If people choose not to be upset by this, it's their choice, not yours. Everybody is entitled to an opinion. Why does what Sara think carry more weight or value than what others think or feel? Why should they agree with you? What right do you have to get angry when they don't subscribe to the same opinion/reaction that you have? It's not really their problem, and what difference does it make if they choose not to let it bother them? Some people are more forgiving than you are, that doesn't make them "wrong".

To answer your question (who should Nic be accountable to?), the answer is -the TSA-. All she can do for her readers is apologize, and after that, what else CAN she do? After that, it really is up to them to accept the apology and move on or not.

Why does it suddenly matter to you what people think of you and your blog? When you are confident in yourself, you don't feel the need to justify that to anybody.

I just have to point out that not everybody follows 'reputation' seriously. Most of us are mature enough to form our own opinions, independent of 'reputation', on any subject, beit a blog, a city, a race of peoples, a mindset, a religion, and so on and so forth. It is an individual right to be able to choose how we react (or don't react) to any given situation.

Nic will get what is coming to her, but I don't feel that anybody -here- on the internet is in the position of doling it out, and I suspect they all know this as well. The TSA has the right to sue for libel. It's the TSA's problem now. It's also Twitter's problem, because she violated TOS, and whatever blogging platform she chose as well. It's not apathy because somebody chooses to take the high road and forgive.

27. Reesie
    October 19, 2009 at 12:32 pm (8 years ago)

I'm curious about the question posted by Scattered Mom, what do you suggest the blogging community do?

28. Suburban Oblivion
    October 19, 2009 at 12:55 pm (8 years ago)

ROFL..I never said anyone had to agree with me, in fact I suspected many wouldn't when I wrote this post. I welcome differing opinions and always have.

It's prompting discussion I am after, not getting people to agree with me. Making people think.

29. feener
    October 19, 2009 at 1:29 pm (8 years ago)

i refused to talk or comment about that balloon boy thingy YET i am a parent

i also refuse to comment about many blog related drama YET i am a blogger

apathy or just how I want to carry myself

somethings I feel are not worth my time.

30. charmingbitch
    October 19, 2009 at 2:24 pm (8 years ago)

(Since the comment author wasn’t clear, I’m editing to note that after emailing it was determined this was in response to one of Paul’s comments. Carry on ๐Ÿ™‚ ~Sara)

Not agreeing with someone’s approach is not lambasting them for choosing to speak; it’s disagreeing with the approach.

Not agreeing with someone’s approach or presentation isn’t losing the message in semantics; it’s disagreeing with someone’s approach or presentation.

Calling into question her ability to parent, referring to her as psychotic and implying she is an addict isn’t furthering the discussion beyond Nicole. It is purposefully keeping it about Nicole and your reaction to Nicole, not concern for the ”community” at large.

If nothing else, all of the above behaviors do indicate that some bloggers are in it solely and only for themselves and their own personal gain. Indignation over Nicole’s assumed greed or attention seeking isn’t credible when every effort is being made to draw and keep the interest on yourself, your opinions and your blogs without presenting any actual solutions for the alleged ”bigger picture” and shutting down all attempts at discussion (and pointedly ignoring questions asked to further the conversation past, ”She sucks!11!!”) with mockery and derision. That isn’t being passionate, it’s being self serving.

31. Elsbeth Hammond
    October 19, 2009 at 3:37 pm (8 years ago)

",…the woman is a liar who preyed on the symathies of others purely for self-promotion and attention with no regard as to how this could hurt anyone else. Like the TSA agents who could lose their jobs for a fuck-up they didn't commit."

Thank you for noticing that. The entire time I followed this story, I kept wondering about the TSA agents in question. I wondered how Nic's story affected them this weekend. I imagined them getting called into a supervisor's office from home, or when they arrived at work, and spending hours being questioned by managers and supervisors with HR reps present, and having to explain every little move they made in the video of the incident. I imagine them spending the entire weekend afraid for their jobs, because of Nic's story.

No one commenting on this fiasco–not Nic's supporters, not her detractors–seemed to be angry on their behalf.

32. Jamie E
    October 19, 2009 at 4:33 pm (8 years ago)

I was wondering the same thing. I have quit reading bloggers when I felt they were faking. Quite popular bloggers in fact. I never posted a big "You suck, you faker!" comment. I simply quit reading. Nobody likes to get negative comments and everyone wants to be heard. I don't know this woman (Nic) and yeah the authorities may press charges, but beyond that…is there so little going on in this big wide world that there has to be perpetuation upon perpetuation about THIS particular story? If someone is painting generalizations about all bloggers, well none of us really has any control over it and going on and on about this woman might look a bit catty, and who wants THAT label?
    idk, my 2 cents I know, that's all it is.

33. mom, again
    October 20, 2009 at 6:44 am (8 years ago)

I'm not surprised at the number of people who can't be bothered to be offended. I am surprised at the number of people who think it doesn't need to be scrutinized. That it should just be left alone, let blow over etc. I guess I'm in the middle. It does matter, but I'm not sure it matters enough to let it become an issue outside the blogospere. Here on the inside, most of us get how it all works and why it matters or doesn't. Outside, it will make everyone look even more useless to those already inclined to question the point of blogs and blogging.

34. mom, again
    October 20, 2009 at 6:48 am (8 years ago)

As for what can be done anyway: Lying is not something to be ignored but there isn't really a mechanism to deal with it. If she'd been employed as a writer, she'd have been warned, written up, censured or fired. As a self employed writer, there's no one to do that. If she's part of a network, she could get kicked out. That might be appropriate. The other bloggers with integrity certainly have missed an opportunity to have proved the value of the badge. Evidently, zilch. If there are extenuating circumstances (someone above mentioned medications and mental health status?) then perhaps her badge could be reinstated under whatever conditions. But, the badge carries no weight, you get it by choosing to put it on your page and nobody has the responsibility of reinforcing it's theoretical standards: the other badge holders can't make her take it down so they might as well shrug their shoulders and hope everyone drops the subject soon.

35. mom, again
    October 20, 2009 at 6:50 am (8 years ago)

As to real world consequences, that is up to the TSA, the affected employee's, the woman's spouse and family. I'm sure all of them are weighing in, publicly or privately.

36. dysfunctional mom
    October 20, 2009 at 8:47 am (8 years ago)

I'm in agreement with you. It bugs me that people say it's nobody's business. Nic made it everybody's business when she posted & tweeted about it.

37. Momma Sunshine
    October 21, 2009 at 9:41 pm (8 years ago)

I applaud you for taking a stand and (eloquently!) voicing your opinion. I think that a big part of the problem, not just in blogging community but in the world in general, is apathy.

People need to decide what their morals and boundaries are, and defend them.

Great post.

38. jenny
    October 30, 2009 at 9:43 am (8 years ago)

Can we just agree to stop using "own" in any way other than as a sendup of Nic?