I turned 30 back in November. I didn’t blog about it.

I had planned to write about it, similar to what I did for my 29th birthday, describing the changes of the previous year, both in my circumstances, and my emotional state. If there is one thing I am truly proud of myself for, it’s the growth I have gone through in 2008. I have become such an astoundingly different person I hardly recognize myself. I’ve had to face a lot of hard truths in the last year, about my life, my marriage, myself. There was so much I wanted to share about turning 30, and I nearly did.

What stopped me was a gift. The most incredible, amazing gift. For my 30th birthday, someone very special gave me a round trip ticket to Ireland.

It seemed so crazy at first. I’m going through a divorce. My ex is fighting me for custody. I’m terrified of flying. I’ve only traveled out of the country once in my life, and that was to a resort in Cancun, which is just the McDonald’s version of Mexico. Did I mention I’m terrified of flying??

Yet for all the reasons why I shouldn’t go, there were just as many why I should. The week in question, my kids were going to be in Orlando with my ex for the annual week-long vacation to Disney. They wouldn’t be sitting home pining for my return, and suddenly sitting home alone myself that week seemed a bit silly. I kept telling myself it would look bad to take off out of the country for a week, but why? I’ve already admitted things under oath that I have done, and been accused of others I haven’t, and at the end of the day this wouldn’t bring anything new into the proceedings. The only thing that could stop me was my own fear. I could jump on this opportunity, or I could let worry and concern over what others might think continue to rule my life.

In the end I made my choice, and it was the best decision I have ever made.

I could tell you what it was like to immerse myself in another culture. I could tell you about the people I met, the things I did, and the relationships formed that will be a huge influence in my life over the coming years.

I promise one day I will.

For now I’ll say this- I have been born, I have grown up, and I have given birth three times over, but it took turning 30 before I finally learned to live.

14 Comments on What I Did When I Turned 30, or ‘Learning to Live’.

1. Candace
    January 2, 2009 at 8:18 pm (9 years ago)

I am so excited for you–what a great experience! I just turned 31 in October and I’m still working on learning to live.

2. Cristin
    January 2, 2009 at 10:45 pm (9 years ago)

Turning 30 looms so large for women…trust me… the 30’s are the best decade so far….

Happy Birthday!

3. all things BD
    January 2, 2009 at 11:27 pm (9 years ago)

Wow, what an awesome gift! I’m so happy for you that you went.

We took a vacation “between kids” to Ireland, and it was the most awesome experience I’ve had since, well, the kids. I look forward to hearing more about your journey.

4. Wacky Mommy
    January 2, 2009 at 11:59 pm (9 years ago)

Hey — yay you! Glad you had fun. You deserve some fun, mamas.

5. Natalie
    January 3, 2009 at 12:30 am (9 years ago)

Oh Sara, I have been so absent lately, but please know that I ALWAYS look forward to your updates. I am glad you had such a fabulous time, and I am looking forward to hearing about your upcoming adventures. I may be horrible about picking up the phone and actually dialing right now, but I always answer *hint* *hint* 🙂

6. sam {temptingmama}
    January 3, 2009 at 12:41 am (9 years ago)

Funny. I was listening to Pink’s song “So What” while I was reading this and it was SOOO fitting! I can’t tell you how happy I am for you! I’m beaming ear to ear – so glad to read that you’re taking charge of your life and starting over with a refreshed outlook on life. YOU DESERVE IT!
    You’re an amazing woman and I wish you nothing but the best!!

7. Summer
    January 3, 2009 at 1:25 am (9 years ago)

How exciting. I’m so glad that you’re getting a chance to really live now.

8. jerseygirl89
    January 3, 2009 at 1:58 pm (9 years ago)

It sounds like a wonderful experience. I dreaded turning 30, but honestly – I’ve never felt more myself than in my 30’s.

9. Mommy Cracked
    January 3, 2009 at 3:53 pm (9 years ago)

Good for you! I can’t wait to hear all about it!

10. Amy@UWM
    January 3, 2009 at 8:25 pm (9 years ago)

Oh, man. How awesome. Good for you for going and happy belated birthday!

11. Kelly
    January 5, 2009 at 9:35 am (9 years ago)

That is incredible! Happy belated birthday. 🙂

12. mimipz5wjj
    January 5, 2009 at 3:38 pm (9 years ago)

Welcome to the world!

I love Ireland… It’s so beautiful, the people are friendly… it’s a wonderful place to find yourself and learn to live!

Happy Belated Birthday and I hope 2009 brings you joy beyond your imagination!