My three year old and I have been having an ongoing conversation for months that goes something like this-

“Mommy, do you have a pee-pee?”

“No baby, mommy is a girl, girls don’t have pee-pees.”

“But sissy has a pee-pee, she told me she does!” (Wondering where I was when this conversation occurred??)

“No sweetie, I promise you, sissy most definitely does not have a pee-pee. Only boys have them.”

To which he generally gives me one of his Mom’s Gone Dumb looks and runs off.

Not long ago when the older two were in school, he followed me into the bathroom and tried to engage me in this particular dialog again as I sat on the toilet.

“Mommy, do you have a pee-pee?”

“No baby, mommy is a girl, girls don’t have pee-pees.”

“Yes you do, let me see!”

At this point I paused, and debated what he’d just asked me. Several people had told me to just show him and get it over with, that his curiosity would be sated, and we’d finally end this debate. On the other hand, I felt sort of uncomfortable with the idea of exposing myself to my three year old, whom I hadn’t been naked around in some time. Frustration won over prudishness, and I let him look.

“See, mommy doesn’t have a pee-pee!” I told him.

He looked over, and then looked up at me, his brown eyes wide with shock and what almost looked like a hint of fear. His mouth dropped open.

Mommy, did you broked it?!?

*sigh*

Once again the race to therapy over the penis issues is officially on.

17 Comments on I Should Have Let Him Continue Thinking I Had a Penis

1. Natalie
    September 28, 2008 at 11:21 am (9 years ago)

BWAHAHAHAHAHA! Too funny!

2. Melitsa
    September 28, 2008 at 11:49 am (9 years ago)

Too funny! I should have seen that coming. Good for you for showing him. It’s a tough one with little boys. I have 3. I know this will come around to me soon enough.

3. jerseygirl89
    September 28, 2008 at 11:59 am (9 years ago)

So funny. Some (my mother-in-law) have questioned the fact that my three year old girl and two year old boy bathe together. At least I haven’t had to have this discussion!

4. Michelle
    September 28, 2008 at 12:22 pm (9 years ago)

I know exactly where you are coming from. Having raised two little boys myself, I can attest to these types of situations. I had questions like; “Mommy, why does my pee pee stand up in the mornings when I wake up?” or “Is my pee pee a gun?” worse…”Can I shoot you with it?” And yes, I let them see that Mommy did not have one. Don’t worry, when they hit about 8 or 9 they don’t dare mention that little thing again!

5. mimi/pz5wjj
    September 29, 2008 at 10:37 am (9 years ago)

hahahahaaha…. I have two boys and have had this conversation many times. And totally sympathize with Michelle (previous comment)… My youngest gets all up set and cries when his “willy is all big and fat.” I told him he won’t always feel that way…

6. Rhonda
    September 29, 2008 at 12:13 pm (9 years ago)

Sooo funny. Max and I have a similar conversation often. Boys are such fun.

7. anna
    September 29, 2008 at 5:26 pm (9 years ago)

LOL

The first time I wore high heels when my son was old enough to notice (I almost never wear them), he was so interested in them that he dropped what he was doing and came right over to inspect them. And I was thinking, “God, I hope this doesn’t lead to some sexual deviancy some day . . .”

8. Krissi
    September 29, 2008 at 6:14 pm (9 years ago)

I have a 3 year old son who is quite curious about his pee pee as well.. check out my blog and you will see what I mean! I got a great laugh out of this post!

9. systemwolf
    September 29, 2008 at 10:39 pm (9 years ago)

I hope that you are backing up your website to externals, or at least the parts about your kids. One day they are going to come across all of these stories and be very inquisitive about why their penis stories were published to the masses.

10. Tara R.
    September 30, 2008 at 5:26 am (9 years ago)

I will be laughing about this all day. Too funny!

11. mpotter
    September 30, 2008 at 1:07 pm (9 years ago)

ha!
    reminds me of the youtube video i just saw about the girl who wanted a penis to be like her daddy.

urgh….. good luck w/ that!

12. Suebob
    October 2, 2008 at 12:09 am (9 years ago)

I broked mine! That is totally how I became a girl!

13. J
    October 2, 2008 at 10:21 pm (9 years ago)

Ouch! Sorry you broked your pee pee!

14. Elise
    October 18, 2008 at 11:26 am (9 years ago)

Hah! That’s hilarious.

A friend of mine used to take showers with her husband and daughters when they were young. One day one of the girls asked her mom, “Mommy, why does daddy’s tail grow out of his front and not his back?”

15. Karen Putz
    October 23, 2008 at 7:43 am (9 years ago)

I have two boys– love this. Those conversations about body parts are always amusing!