It’s not often that I have bad dreams. If anything the dreams I have tend to be odd, almost comical in their randomness. Bits of reality mashed with bits of imagination with a little bit of everything else mixed in. I dream often and vividly, and usually its a good experience if for nothing other than the laugh I get the next day.

Unfortunately the bad dreams, while infrequent, tend to be just as detailed and feel just as real.

Last night was one of those nights. I had a dream in which I made the choice to cut someone very close to me out of my life. Something unexpected happened that made me realize how both different and distant our lives were, and it just was not something I could get past, so I ended the relationship. They were upset, and looking back its shocking how little I cared, but such is the nature of dreams I guess.

I woke up from this feeling completely disoriented, and having a hard time shaking it off completely. An hour later I still feel all out of sorts.

Why is it the good dreams fade from memory so fast, but the bad ones linger so long? I really need to clear my head of this one.

11 Comments on Nightmares

1. Queen of Shake Shake
    August 5, 2008 at 6:50 am (9 years ago)

In order to answer your question, first you have to prove to me that you aren’t dreaming right now. For all we know, what you thought you dreamed is actually what happened and all of this is really the dream.

Somewhere in another universe, I go to school naked every day.

2. autumn dahlia
    August 5, 2008 at 7:18 am (9 years ago)

It must’ve been that kind of night!! A bunch of us had bad dreams last night. Hope the fog lifts soon!

3. Jill
    August 5, 2008 at 8:02 am (9 years ago)

I know what you mean! I once had a dream that I dropped my baby on a concrete floor and for hours after I woke up I could hear the thud of his head against the hard surface ringing over and over again in my head. I still get a little twitchy thinking about it and it was at least 2 years ago!

Hope you can shake this dream off quickly!

4. Justin G.
    August 5, 2008 at 8:36 am (9 years ago)

HEY……speaking of distant……shoot me a e-mail sometime, stranger……

5. Mrs. Schmitty
    August 5, 2008 at 9:03 pm (9 years ago)

I have dreams like that constantly. I think it’s my meds. They are so real and vivid. The next day they will come back to me in a flash and make me feel as though they really happened. I HATE IT!

6. shannanb aka Mommy Bits
    August 6, 2008 at 11:10 am (9 years ago)

You are right. The bad ones always linger. I’ve had dreams that felt so real I woke up crying and yelling at my husband for things he didn’t even do. It’s awful.

7. The Laundress ~JJ!
    August 6, 2008 at 12:15 pm (9 years ago)

Dreams are so weird.

I get some crazy ones too…and you’re right, I can’t shake those scary ones…no matter how hard I try.

8. mimipz5wjj
    August 6, 2008 at 5:28 pm (9 years ago)

I hate dreams like that. They ruin your whole day.

I wish the fluffy white clouds and happy dreams stayed like the disturbing ones do…

9. J
    August 7, 2008 at 8:00 am (9 years ago)

There are sick images from dreams I had decades ago that are still stuck there. Ugh.

10. DMLD
    August 20, 2008 at 9:36 am (9 years ago)

Just wanted to let you know that I nominated you for the Brillante Weblog Premio 2008 Award. Have never commented on your site before, but always have a good read and am always amazed at how much I can relate to your posts. Thanks for giving something interesting to read.

DMLD

11. Becky
    August 24, 2008 at 9:01 pm (9 years ago)

I know what you mean. Sometimes a dream is the most vivid part of your day, for better or worse.

And hey, I like your blog! I’m glad I found it! I grew up in P’cola, and it’s great to find more Gulf Coasters out here in blog land. Not to mention another Suburbanite.