I watched a movie tonight called “Broken English”. In the movie, a woman who can’t figure out why she is still single meets a visiting Frenchman and they spend a torrid few days together. He goes back to France, and she decides she needs to know if he is The One, so she heads off to go find him. Naturally Murphy’s Law kicks in, and she loses his number, and spends the next few days there exploring the city and discovering herself. A quote from one of the movie scenes really struck me, so I thought I’d share it..

Most people are together just so they are not alone. But some people want magic. I think you are one of those people.

When it comes to marriage and relationships, do you believe that kind of magic can happen, or is it just one for the movies?
And because I am obsessed with lolcats these days, this one reminded me of the movie, so throwing that in for free. (Anyone else think there should be a 12-step program for that site??)

cat

16 Comments on Do You Believe in Magic?

1. Baby B
    June 17, 2008 at 10:10 pm (9 years ago)

Mai twin & i haz lolcat prblem 2!

It drove me nuts at first. I didn’t get. “Pictures of cats… with internet lingo captioned over them…” But I have come to fully embrace the ridiculousness.

2. MrsWaltz
    June 17, 2008 at 11:47 pm (9 years ago)

In reverse order:
    1) Perhaps just a 4 step program. I’m busy.
    and B) Hell, yes, magic happens. But you have to be open to the magic; you have to insist on it. Otherwise you’ll miss it.

3. Daddy Papersurfer
    June 18, 2008 at 12:04 am (9 years ago)

Of course I believe in magic – I married a witch [please don’t tell the TG I said that otherwise I’ll be a frog again and probably croak]

4. Paul
    June 18, 2008 at 6:24 am (9 years ago)

Magic? Even a cynical stubborn git like me has to say “Yes!”!

5. Natalie
    June 18, 2008 at 9:19 am (9 years ago)

I absolutely believe in magic.

I am addicted to icanhascheezburger, too. That’s one of my favs.

My officemate, who USED to be a cat hater, almost took home a kitty recently because of that site. hehehe.

6. JayMonster
    June 18, 2008 at 9:24 am (9 years ago)

Nope sorry, don’t believe in magic. That is for the movies.

I do believe in soulmates, but I suspect that too many people are to busy looking for the “magic” in many cases to see other sorts of “chemistry.”

Magic is nothing but the fresh excitement of something new. It will eventually fade. If you are happy with what you are left with after that… then (probably by luck) you found your soulmate.

The confusion of finding “the one” is far more like “When Harry Met Sally” than it is Cinderella.

7. Stepiphany
    June 18, 2008 at 2:11 pm (9 years ago)

I guess it depends on your definition of magic. I think you have to be able to be on your own to successfully be with someone else though. The whole idea of marriage being about support is a little misleading. You can’t always be leaning on each other because that’s just not a very stable structure. Both partners have to be strong and hold their own weight, and then just being together (because it’s right and you like each other, not because you need to) is kind of magical.

8. Amanda
    June 18, 2008 at 7:00 pm (9 years ago)

I fully believe in “magic”!! I knew within 10 minutes of meeting Piatt, I knew I would be with him forever. I still get the butterflies when I see him across the room after almost 10 years. I know… it’s sick. Whatever.
    As far as LOLCats go, I need a 12-step program! I love them. The one you posted today is my new favorite. I printed it out and left it in piatts car..

9. Summer
    June 18, 2008 at 10:02 pm (9 years ago)

I do believe in magic, but I don’t think you can rely on just magic to make it last.

10. The Laundress
    June 19, 2008 at 10:34 am (9 years ago)

I used to believe in magic. No so much anymore.

Real life gets in the way.

11. Shauna
    June 19, 2008 at 12:48 pm (9 years ago)

I totally agree with Summer… Even though you’ve got magic, you still need to do some work.

12. Queen of Shake Shake
    June 19, 2008 at 12:50 pm (9 years ago)

No. It’s just the movies.

The magic is there in the beginning, of course. But there has to more to it for it to last, IMO.

I no longer even believe in soul mates. It’s all things we made up in the name of the game of relationships.

13. Amanda
    June 24, 2008 at 9:12 am (9 years ago)

I think you have to create your own magic. Most of us grow up thinking everything will turn out like a fairytale and it just doesn’t. You have to pick someone and make it work.

14. Devilish Southern Belle
    June 25, 2008 at 2:46 am (9 years ago)

I definitely DON’T believe in magic; at least not the kind the movies would have you think exists. I agree with Amanda above me: relationships take work, and you have to create your own magic.

15. Sarcastic Mom
    June 29, 2008 at 12:37 am (9 years ago)

Magic? Sure. But you have to work at it to keep the sparkle dust fresh, if you know what I mean.

Nothing worth it is ever always easy. As it should be. Right?

16. Me
    August 29, 2008 at 11:07 am (9 years ago)

That is a question I’ve been pondering LOTS and LOTS these days.