(Updated below)

I’ve heard whispering over the phone, and a Twitter or two here and there, so let’s go ahead and talk about this out in the open.

What the bloody hell is going on with BlogHer Ads?????

I know by now I’m not the only one who got a nasty shock when they received their latest BlogHer ad check. Maybe I should have been paying closer attention, but boy was I surprised when I got a check in the mail for only about a fraction of what I would have expected for that month’s traffic. Since getting that payment, I checked in on my revenue report, and it looks like the next check won’t be any better.

How did the payment drop so significantly? I’ve heard a rumor that the BlogHer ad network lost a contract with an advertiser, and has not gotten a new one to replace it, but I have not heard anything on the BlogHer Ads newsletter about it. Actually, I think that’s what is bothering me, that so far I’ve not heard *anything* from BlogHer about it. Just whisperings in the background from people I suspect are not wanting to make waves by bringing this out in the open.

So did this come as a shock to anyone else? Has anyone heard any news, or even ideas of why payments have dropped so drastically? Until now I’ve been really happy being a part of this ad network, but unless things pick up I may have to investigate other options.

———————————————————————————————————————-

Perfect timing! The BlogHer Ads newsletter mentioned today what the problem seems to be, and how they plan to resolve it.

Lots of new ads are on the way in December!
The first week of December was quiet on the ad front, and we’re happy to report that we’ve got several new campaigns kicking off over the next five days.

Where did the ads go?

Many of our November campaigns ended on the 30th, and we’ve had some creatives delayed by the agencies, resulting in the brief lull we’ve been experiencing.  We’ve gotten the go-ahead for several great new campaigns that we’re happy to tell you about:

Dove is returning to the BlogHerAds network with a fantastic campaign starting on December 10th.  This new campaign will feature a limited number of Rich Media ads in addition to more traditional ad inventory. See below for more information about these innovative ads!

Kraft has kicked off a cool new campaign for those of you running the box ads, and we’re currently running campaigns including the Simon Santa ad, Care.org, Kajeet, ID Safeguard and Green Dimes.  Next week, we’ll see even more ads, with new campaigns launching on Monday and Thursday.

As we move into the middle of the month, we’ll see more and more campaigns, so for now, we’ve opted to purchase a larger concentration of BlogHer house ads to fill our inventory at the beginning of the month.

17 Comments on Let’s Talk About the Elephant in the Corner- BlogHer Ads…UPDATED

1. Mrs. Chicken
    December 6, 2007 at 11:08 pm (10 years ago)

Yeah, my first month was awesome, and since then it has been about half that amount. What get pushed on my site are mainly house ads. Also, half the time no ad shows up at all.

And my traffic is rather healthy these days.

Hmmm.

2. Sarcastic Mom
    December 7, 2007 at 12:12 am (10 years ago)

Oh, for crying out loud. One thing after another is breaking.

I’m sorry, Sara. It’s my fault because I was thinking of using Blogher ads recently, and apparently everything bloggy that I touch TURNS TO SHIT.

Argh.

3. Julie Pippert
    December 7, 2007 at 7:02 am (10 years ago)

I don’t know but have wondered. My ads mainly pump BlogHer itself or Habitat for Humanity. I don’t have that many restrictions on my account, either.

And my check for November hasn’t even arrived yet. Now I’m nervous. I was anticipating something nice because I doubled my traffic.

Has anyone asked?

Julie
    Using My Words

4. Mommy Daisy
    December 7, 2007 at 10:09 am (10 years ago)

I don’t have ads on my blog. If I wanted to, how would I go about doing that? Is there a contact for BlogHer? Sounds like it might not be worth it right now, but maybe that will change. One can hope, right?

5. Alli ~Mrs. Fussypants
    December 7, 2007 at 10:58 am (10 years ago)

Ah, Sara, THE INFLUENTIAL ONE!

I knew I was wise to give you that award! 😉

OK, I’ll stop patting myself on the back now.

Blogher- What a disappointment!

My traffic, I’m with Mrs. Chicken, not to shabby. 🙂

I work my behind off. Hours a day. I consider this MY JOB. I want to have a site that is useful, informative and fun. I always strive to GIVE MY READERS GOOD STUFF!

Is BlogHer giving it’s blogs good stuff?

To give up ALL that above the fold ad space? I am beginning to question if it is worth it or not.

Shall we go on strike?

I just put on Google Adsense just to compare month-to-month what the earning are. I’ll keep everyone posted.

Love You, Oh Influential One!

6. Jenny Lauck
    December 7, 2007 at 11:06 am (10 years ago)

Hi, Sara!

I’m happy to tell you that BlogHerAds has many new campaigns that have started in the last two days, and more on the way next week, including great new campaigns from Dove and Kraft.

I hear and understand your frustration with the lack of campaign details in the newsletter – we’ll make it a point to provide additional detail going forward.

I’m also at your service to answer any questions you may have about your revenue reports, ad performance, payment or any other issues. I am available at all times via email or telephone, and I’d be pleased to work with you to resolve any concerns.

Looking forward to connecting with you,

Jenny

7. Mimipz5wjj
    December 7, 2007 at 12:04 pm (10 years ago)

Well, I’ve had BlogHer Ad’s since September and have YET to recieve a check. I know I don’t have lots of traffic, but I would have expected something by now…

8. Shannon
    December 7, 2007 at 12:47 pm (10 years ago)

My last check was in the “normal” range, but I think it’s because I added Feedburner network ads to my site (in addition to my feed) and perhaps that made up for the slow-down from BlogHer in my sidebar. Have you noticed the wealth of ads that are promoting the BlogHer contributing editors? That’s almost all I see these days, so perhaps they did lose a client…

9. Erin
    December 7, 2007 at 2:14 pm (10 years ago)

I would be happy to get a check, but I have noticed a lot of contributing editor ads recently. Hopefully things will pick up for everyone soon.

10. Alli ~Mrs. Fussypants
    December 7, 2007 at 7:58 pm (10 years ago)

Ah, they realized that when “Suburban Oblivion” is on their case, that it is BIG trouble.

🙂

11. Elizabeth
    December 10, 2007 at 8:52 am (10 years ago)

My earnings last month were, are you ready for this? One dollar and 29 cents. At that rate, I’ll have a check coming sometime in 2009.

12. Redneck Mommy
    December 11, 2007 at 3:08 pm (10 years ago)

Look at you, solving mysteries for us. Thanks for addressing this. I was seriously annoyed when I received my notification for payouts. It was half what it had been months prior and my stats haven’t drooped at all.

Your my hero.

Now, can you help me get more traffic, miss bloggy wonder god?

13. VDog
    December 14, 2007 at 1:08 pm (10 years ago)

Now I’ve heard that *having* the BlogHer ads can up your traffic, but if you’re making pennies off of them, then what’s the point?

Even with the update, this makes me hesitant to sign up for them.
    Because if I can’t even buy a pack of diapers with the earnings??

14. holli
    March 2, 2008 at 7:33 pm (10 years ago)

It’s getting worse, isn’t it? and worse and worse and worse. I sent an email asking what the deal was – and nobody responded to me. My stats have gone up, but my checks are now at 1/4 what they were when I first started with BlogHer.

I’m almost to the point that it’s not worth having all that stuff on my blog.

I’ve searched this topic before and your post didn’t turn up – but now it’s on the front page of google, which tells me a lot of other people are investigating this very topic.

XO