I don’t like cakes. They are a major source of disagreement in this house, with my husband and I dancing around it until the very last minute, and only then facing the issue head-on.

Cake flavors are a very serious thing I tell you.

My husband is a chocoholic, and only chocolate cake will do. Not just any chocolate cake, it must be chocolate with a chocolate buttercream icing. Thick, heavy buttercream icing. Ugh.

I am more of a yellow, or even marbled cake fan, but it has to be the whipped cream icing. Buttercream is just too heavy for me, and I remember all too well the catering class I took in high school, and exactly how much butter and crisco goes into buttercream. The thought makes me shiver and gag.  I want my cake light and sweet, not heavy and thick enough to use as spackle paste.  Most years I’ve just said whatever, and let hubby and the kids eat most of my birthday cake. Just a load of calories I don’t need anyways, right?

This year I decided no more. As part of my whole going red project, I decided I need to start allowing myself to express what I want and not feel guilty about it.  This year I decided I wanted cupcakes. Lemon cupcakes with vanilla icing. Cupcakes made special because I was going to let my kids decorate them, and I would eat them(a couple at least) no matter how funny looking they turned out. I iced them, they put the sprinkles of their choice on them, and in the end we had this-

The bestest birthday cake EVAH!  :mrgreen:

—————————————————————————————————————————-

Thanks so much for all the fabulous birthday wishes, that really made my day! Thank you also to VDog for bestowing upon me the Egel Nest Blog Award, and JaniceNW for passing me the Blogger Reflection Award. That last one looks like it was posted at the end of September, but somehow only came up in my feed reader yesterday! So sorry I am late on that, blame the Google gods!

11 Comments on The Bestest Birthday Cake Ever

1. She Likes Purple
    November 14, 2007 at 10:09 am (9 years ago)

I loooove cupcakes. I have them every year on my birthday, yellow cake, chocolate icing, small rainbow sprinkles. It’s the only way I’ll have a good birthday.

2. Mommy Daisy
    November 14, 2007 at 11:00 am (9 years ago)

Mmm, those look delicious! Glad you got what you wanted for your birthday cake. 😉

3. An Iowa Mom
    November 14, 2007 at 11:47 am (9 years ago)

We always do cupcakes too. And like you … none of us have quite the same taste. It’s not uncommon to make a “variety” at our house. The only downside is that most times there is double or even triple the cupcakes to eat because of it.

Happy Birthday!

4. JaniceNW
    November 14, 2007 at 3:11 pm (9 years ago)

Cupcakes are awesome and it was your celebration! I’m in total agreement on whipped cream frosting and now my entire family cannot eat buttercream frosting without turning a little green.

You’re welcome for the award. I’m sorry it did not show up for six weeks. I think there is an evil blog conspiracy against me~maybe because I use blogspot. Technorati’s been messin’ with me too.

Trust me, you are YOUNG!!

5. Veronica
    November 14, 2007 at 4:30 pm (9 years ago)

I am the biggest chocoholic, but I still prefer light cake. Lemon cupcakes Yummmm.

November 14, 2007 at 5:19 pm (9 years ago)

Butter cream icing would make me gag too if it had both butter and crisco in it.

Your catering class teacher in high school was smoking something when she gave out the recipe. I could karate chop her ass if I knew her for desecrating such a sacred icing.

Nix the crisco.

Then you’re in buttercream heaven.

7. GHD
    November 14, 2007 at 8:01 pm (9 years ago)

That looks like the best birthday cake ever to me too! Decorated with love. What a wonderful post, Sara!

Happy Birthday again…

Butter and Crisco, huh? I think you just got me off the buttercream bandwagon too. 🙂

8. Devilish Southern Belle
    November 14, 2007 at 8:28 pm (9 years ago)

Yummy! My favorite cake (besides cheesecake, which just isn’t the same) is Red Velvet with a decadent cream cheese frosting!

9. cate
    November 15, 2007 at 12:31 am (9 years ago)

what a great idea! i’m not a fan of cakes with tons of thick rich icing…yak. it’s too much! cupcakes are perfect…and i can just imagine the boys decorating them…well…it would be a sprinkle fiasco, but it would be fun! 😀

10. Veronica Mitchell
    November 19, 2007 at 5:47 pm (9 years ago)

Happy belated birthday.

I made a frosting once which was just heavy cream and nutella blended together. It was yummy.

11. Melanie (martha) :)
    November 20, 2007 at 2:40 pm (9 years ago)

Well, apparently…I’m way behind–but Happy Belated Birthday Sara! The cupcakes look great! 🙂