(Updating to add poll to the sidebar, take a second to vote please!)

I hate being on the fence, it’s a real pain, and that’s just the splinters.

Full RSS feed, or partial?

What do you guys do? Do partial feeds annoy you?

I’ve gone back and forth on this, and am finally going back to full feed. I almost hate to do it, because I know I’ll have to keep a sharp eye on where my feed is being fed(partial feeds protect from others running your RSS through their blog) and I suspect my comments will go down. BUT, I also know a lot of people get really annoyed by partial feeds, so back to full feed I go. Prove me wrong and continue to comment, will ya? 😉

—————————————————————————————————————————-

I have finally decided to add an email subscription form again, so just enter your email address in the box in the sidebar to subscribe via email! 100% spam free, and posts will be waiting for you in your inbox even if you miss a day or three! (Great way to get the content if the BlogHer ads annoy you or cause browser problems!)

39 Comments on Full Feed, Partial Feed. Flip-flop, flip-flop.

1. Deb - Mom of 3 Girls
    November 9, 2007 at 9:21 pm (10 years ago)

Hmm, I’ve always had mine on full because the partial ones do annoy me, especially when I’m reading posts in a hurry. I do always click through if I want to comment so I don’t think it affects that for me anyway. I didn’t realize it was such a big deal as it seems to be, but then again, I’m still fairly new at this. I will say thanks and I appreciate you making the change! 🙂

2. Bananas
    November 9, 2007 at 10:27 pm (10 years ago)

I HATE hate hate partial feed. You’re one of VERY FEW blogs that I even subscribe to that do partial feed because I DESPISE it so much!

Full feed makes me
    1) more likely to read the whole post, which makes me
    2) more likely to comment!

Way to go! It’s a bold move, but a good one!

3. Mommy Daisy
    November 9, 2007 at 10:29 pm (10 years ago)

Oh, I like full feeds better. And it doesn’t affect my comments. In fact I might be more likely to comment, because I will read the whole post instead of possibly skipping a partial feed.

4. Krista
    November 9, 2007 at 11:27 pm (10 years ago)

I will have to agree. I hate partial feeds (until now I didn’t realize why some were full and some were partial) and it doesn’t affect my commenting to have the full feed. Again, if anything I’m more likely to comment when I can read the whole thing.
    What is this problem with people stealing stuff if you do a full feed?

5. SummerM
    November 9, 2007 at 11:55 pm (10 years ago)

I’ll be the odd one and admit I prefer partial feeds. I don’t get to read often so being able to rad th first paragraph or two of several posts at a time helps. Then if what I read seems interesting or I have something to say I’ll click over and read the whole post.

6. Sara
    November 10, 2007 at 12:01 am (10 years ago)

Krista, you can run anyone’s RSS feed through you blog if they do full feed and claim it as your own. It doesn’t happen to everyone, but it does happen, which is why partial feeds are more secure.

7. Paul OFlaherty
    November 10, 2007 at 5:37 am (10 years ago)

I think you know where I stand on the feeds issue Sara. Full feeds only!

Now, for something different.. A little birdy told me it’s your Birthday today.. so.. Happy Birthday and all the best for the coming year! 😀

8. Sara
    November 10, 2007 at 6:20 am (10 years ago)

Actually, it’s Monday(ok, what site did I screw that up at?) but I’ll take them anyways, thanks so much!!! :mrgreen:

9. Melissa Garrett
    November 10, 2007 at 6:47 am (10 years ago)

Wow – I didn’t realize so many people HATE partial feeds. I have a partial feed on my blog because I really WANT people to click through and continue reading. I also want an accurate number of how many people are reading my blog. As a writer, I suppose that if I can’t capture your attention with the first paragraph, I’m not doing my job.

10. Paul OFlaherty
    November 10, 2007 at 6:49 am (10 years ago)

I think MySpace would be the culprit 😉

11. ~JJ!
    November 10, 2007 at 7:07 am (10 years ago)

I have no clue what full feed or partial feeds actually does other than I actually have to click on the blog from my reader to finish reading the post…But I do that anyway to comment…So it makes no difference to me…

But I comment.

Also, I have no clue what my stats say about me or where people come from to read what I say because statcounter totally confuses me with that crap.

All in all, I’m no help. But I think you should do what you like best.

You are an awesome writer full feed or not.

12. Julie Pippert
    November 10, 2007 at 8:41 am (10 years ago)

I far prefer full feed. Sometimes I only have time to read, not click over, and if the whole post is there in my Reader, we’re golden.

It depends on whether you worry about security, or where your comfort and preference is. We’re adaptable.

Julie
    Using My Words

13. Shannanb aka Mommy Bits
    November 10, 2007 at 8:55 am (10 years ago)

I don’t mind partial or full feeds. I still go to the site and comment if I feel moved, etc. by the post. I do hate however that it hurts your site traffic….

Maybe I would go with partial…….

14. Average Jane
    November 10, 2007 at 10:02 am (10 years ago)

To be brutally honest, I generally unsubscribe from blogs that only have partial feeds. I’m perfectly willing to click through to comment after I’ve read the full post in my reader, but I subscribe to WAY too many blogs to be clicking through just to read a mystery post.

15. rimarama
    November 10, 2007 at 10:04 am (10 years ago)

I don’t like partial feeds, but not because I have to click through to continue reading. My reason is much more lame: If I click through, you’ll know I was there and I’ll feel bad if I can’t think of a comment to leave. Because I know how nice it is to get comments and I like to leave them whenever possible.

How pathetic is that?

16. MamaLee
    November 10, 2007 at 10:29 am (10 years ago)

Hate partials as well. I tend to not bother going to people’s sites. A blogger better hook me into things right from the get-go in order for me to click to their site.

17. Christy
    November 10, 2007 at 11:10 am (10 years ago)

I like it like this much better. That way I can read it on my google reader. I am so dumb about stuff like this. That is what you were asking right?

18. Mammaloves
    November 10, 2007 at 11:54 am (10 years ago)

I’ve gone back and forth too. I know I tend not to comment as much and click through to a page when it’s a full feed in my reader. I don’t mind clicking through from a partial feed if what I can read in the partial feed is interesting enough. That said, I like to be supportive of the community, so I would consider going back to a full feed.

19. Genevieve
    November 10, 2007 at 12:11 pm (10 years ago)

My habits — I click through on full feeds far more often than partial. Usually to comment and sometimes I get pulled in to other posts on the blog once there.

Partial feeds (and mine were for awhile until I realized my own viewing habits) rarely engage me enough to click through. I do have a few favorite blogs I’ll click through anyways if I’m remotely curious. Otherwise I tend to skip right over them to another blog in my reader.

I’ll also share posts I like in my reader was well to my blog. Doubt that drives anyone more than a click or two but it’s another way of driving residual traffic off a full feed.

20. Shannon
    November 10, 2007 at 2:14 pm (10 years ago)

I don’t mind partial feeds, but the reasoning of “I want people to click through to my blog” backfires with me. I will subscribe to a partial feed, but will generally just scan it and pass it by. It’s got to be REALLY good to get me to click through. On the other hand, I’m much more likely to read a whole post if the entire post is in the feed.

21. Smiling Mom
    November 10, 2007 at 2:40 pm (10 years ago)

FULL FULL FULL. 🙂 Please!

I will be more inclined to read all your posts and then comment more regularly. I only have a few left, yours included, that I read through my rss feed.

Thanks!!

November 10, 2007 at 3:09 pm (10 years ago)

Hate partial feeds. I have actually been skipping people who do partial feeds.

23. Alli ~Mrs. Fussypants
    November 10, 2007 at 5:51 pm (10 years ago)

I do full, as of last week :), because I found out how much people hate partials. The whole RSS thing stresses me out.

24. Christina
    November 10, 2007 at 7:48 pm (10 years ago)

I prefer full feeds. I know having a full feed might reduce the number of people clicking through to my blog, which reduces ad revenue, but I’d rather have happy readers more than more ad revenue.

I also don’t always have time to comment, so breezing through posts in my reader is a much quicker way to scan what’s out there at the moment. If it’s a partial feed, I might not know what great post I passed up because I didn’t have time to click through.

25. Mrs. Mustard
    November 10, 2007 at 8:09 pm (10 years ago)

I find that I tend to not read as many entries from blogs that only offer partial feeds. It has to catch my interest in the first 2 lines, or else I am gone.

26. Sara
    November 10, 2007 at 8:49 pm (10 years ago)

Mrs. Mustard ,
    I’m actually that way with full feeds too! You’ve got 3-4 lines to grab me, otherwise I’m out!

27. Devilish Southern Belle
    November 10, 2007 at 10:53 pm (10 years ago)

I prefer full feeds myself, even though I am not sure if I’m currently full or partial feeding (I go back and forth, too). I am sure full feeds do make comments go down somewhat, but hopefully one of these days I can post something so insanely good that people just want to come over and comment and add to it. I am bad about just reading a lot of posts, but I do comment if I feel that I can actually add to the discussion or answer a question.

28. Angie
    November 11, 2007 at 12:31 am (10 years ago)

I much prefer full feeds. I am more likely to comment on them too, as I often just skip over them. And, after I realize that I have been skipping over the feeds for a while, I just unsubscribe.

29. Deborah
    November 11, 2007 at 6:18 am (10 years ago)

Ooh I was so relieved to see your full feed today. I have to be honest, I have been a bad reader since you went to partial. 😳

30. Velveteen Mind Megan
    November 11, 2007 at 9:16 am (10 years ago)

I have always had full feeds out of respect for my readers.

If they don’t want to comment, then I should write something more compelling. If they don’t want to visit my site and read the post in the context of the blog as a whole (as it is intended), then that is their loss.

All full feeds. All the time. Respect your readers and they will come.

31. Redneck Mommy
    November 11, 2007 at 12:16 pm (10 years ago)

I switched to partial feeds after some asshat was hijacking my blog and using my feed as filler in their blog. Asses.

I’m still undecided as to whether I’ll switch back or not. I want to respect my readers but I also want to respect my right as writer not to have my words stolen as well…

32. jenny
    November 11, 2007 at 12:26 pm (10 years ago)

oh boy – i have no idea what i have. looks like i have to look into this a bit more. maybe i’m ticking people off and i don’t know it? 🙂 eeek!

33. JamieE
    November 11, 2007 at 12:31 pm (10 years ago)

I have you bookmarked so I haven’t seen partials, yet I stopped reading another fave because I had to click on something to read the full post. I am so damn lazy.

34. ram
    November 12, 2007 at 5:38 am (10 years ago)

I personally like full feeds. But if blogs like Quick Online Tips can get over 13000 readers with partial feeds, I guess people can tolerate partial feeds too. Its all about good content, people will follow. 😎

35. sam
    November 12, 2007 at 7:29 am (10 years ago)

Depending on my mood I have flipped and flopped back and forth as well. I would try it for a day, then change back again.

I hate partials when I am reading posts… so I figured I wouldn’t burden readers with something that I despise myself.
    To be honest, I tend to click through on full feeds more then I do with partials…. weird, but true.

36. Stephen
    November 12, 2007 at 11:05 am (10 years ago)

I don’t have any use for RSS feeds right now, so I’ve left it at full feed and I’m starting to include post summaries, so those with RSS readers who support them can see if they’re interested in my post. 🙂

37. cate
    November 12, 2007 at 4:04 pm (10 years ago)

i use full feeds because that’s what i prefer…i find it easier to read everything through my reader, and click over to leave comments. of course, partial freeds don’t keep me from commenting on my fave blogs…:)

38. Bec
    November 17, 2007 at 3:25 am (10 years ago)

Yeah, I’ve been debating the full v partial feed thing lately. I haven’t come to a decision yet but I’m leaning towards doing full feeds.

By the by – do you know *how* you can run an RSS feed through your blog? I’ve got two blogs and I want to run one RSS feed through the other but I have no idea how, I’ve even looked at plugins and am feeling really stupid at this point.