At some point in the last 24 hours, Blogger changed their blog comment forms, and the the new layout does not allow links to blogs outside the Blogger/Google account system. Not sure what I mean? Check this out-

bloggercomments

Previously, instead of a ‘nickname’ option, there was a place to click ‘other’, which then opened a field to put in your name and URL. When you click on the nickname option, the only thing you can put in is a name. While you could put in your mysite.com name as your nickname, it will not be a link as it was previously, and it cannot be used to go directly to your site.

So now the question remains, was this done as some sort of an anti-spam measure, or is this Google’s way of striking a blow against other blogging platforms like WordPress and Typepad? I cannot find any announcements or even any mention of it anywhere at the moment. I would think if this were a huge step in fighting blog spam, Google would have at least thrown a line or two up on their blog about it. If this was strictly about that I’d say they were throwing the baby out with the bathwater. On the other hand, this move forces people to either not leave links at all, or register a blogger/google account, and put a link to their outside blog in that profile, the option I suspect most users will take. Better an indirect link than no link at all, right?

So why should we care? Blogging is a very give and take relationship. Without commenters, bloggers have no feedback. Those who comment get the exposure for their own site from the writer’s existing audience, and if the blogger is like me and is part of the DoFollow movement, commenters also get a little shared Google juice where pagerank is concerned. NoFollow is automatically inserted in Blogger’s code, but there are ways to turn that off. (Could that also be another motivating factor in their decision?) By disallowing comment URLs, the relationship between the two parties is interrupted, and I’d bet there will be considerably less commenting on Blogger blogs by those on other platforms, myself included.

What to do about it? Well, you could try moving to WordPress, WordPress.com, Typepad, or one of the many other blogging platforms out there. WordPress is obviously my favorite, but I realize not everyone wants to migrate after spending a year plus building their site. Haloscan is an add-on that Blogger users can use to restore the Blogger comment form back to allowing outside links. It replaces the current comment form to one very similar to WordPress or Typepad, with the usual name and URL fields along with a comment space. In addition it also gives Blogger users the ability to accept trackbacks, a feature not currently open to those users.

Whatever you decide to do, be sure to shoot Blogger an email and let them know what you think of this change. Maybe if they get enough complaints they will fix it.

*snort* Ok, a girl can dream.

114 Comments on Blogger.com No Longer Allows Links to Non-Blogger Sites in Comments

1. Chuck Adkins
    November 30, 2007 at 10:07 am (9 years ago)

This is why I went to WordPress. Blogger sucks anyhow…

2. Alli ~Mrs. Fussypants
    November 30, 2007 at 10:19 am (9 years ago)

I decided Blogger Blows!
    I moved to Typepad in September.
    Love it, it does everything for me.

I wasn’t smart enough to figure out all the WordPress stuff. πŸ™‚

3. Devilish Southern Belle
    November 30, 2007 at 10:20 am (9 years ago)

Thanks so much for pointing that out! I never knew. I was pissed at blogger for not having an email input in the form so that I could respond to comments via email like you can with everything else. Now they’ve gone and taken the external link feature out? Methinks it’s time to make use of my haloscan account….even though their email field is useless to a site owner as well.

4. Christina
    November 30, 2007 at 10:23 am (9 years ago)

I did notice that this morning. At first I thought it was a bug or something, but I’ve seen it on all Blogger blogs now, so I guess it’s a new “feature”.

It’s good for preventing spam attacks, but I agree with you that it also prevents you from visiting the blogs of those who take the time to stop by and leave a comment.

I’ve got my own domain ready to go, I just need to jump in and learn WordPress so I can make the switch. Maybe I’ll have time over the holidays to do that…

5. Mommy Daisy
    November 30, 2007 at 10:28 am (9 years ago)

Hmm, I noticed something was different today, but I didn’t quite figure it out. Since I use Blogger for my blog page, I just sign into Blogger when I’m leaving comments too. I see your issues with it though.

I don’t know if I’m brave enough or big enough to switch to another platform. I don’t know if that really matters. For now I’ll stay put.

6. TX Poppet
    November 30, 2007 at 10:29 am (9 years ago)

Been fretting over this all morning. Just made the switch to haloscan. Thank you Sara!

7. Diddums
    November 30, 2007 at 10:55 am (9 years ago)

I noticed that too – then I found bloggerindraft blogspot. It’s got something to do with a new system using OpenID. I tried it but found there was no ‘other’ option with the OpenID (if I remember right) so I switched it back to ‘anyone can comment’!

8. becky
    November 30, 2007 at 11:06 am (9 years ago)

Seems to me blogger did this right after i moved my blog from there to wordpress. I noticed this since I want my blogger freinds to know that I have moved just by clicking on the link. Without that I have been just using my blogger id. Now I think I will just have to create a new one just for my new place. pain in the behind if you ask me!
    Happily going to send an email though cause its just not fair. i doubt all blogger users will make the move i did even though i found it quite easy!!

9. Gayla McCord
    November 30, 2007 at 11:16 am (9 years ago)

It seems Google just doesn’t seem to ‘get’ who butters their bread.

I’m growing more and more disenchanted with them all the time.

Nice catch!

10. Julie Pippert
    November 30, 2007 at 11:20 am (9 years ago)

I noticed that yesterday afternoon. I couldn’t figure out what was different—thanks.

Another option?

Circumvent and include your direct link in your signature. Blogger accepts HTML so use an a href command.

How to do it (I hope this shows, when I say close bracket I mean >…hopefulyl by eliminating some code it will display properly):

<a href = “insert URL” close bracket Put In Title </a close bracket

Julie
    Using My Words

11. Lis Garrett - a writer's woolgatherings
    November 30, 2007 at 11:20 am (9 years ago)

I noticed this change this morning and thought “what the hell?” I used to blog on Blogger but wanted a more streamlined feel and moved on to better platforms. I now have blogs on both WordPress and TypePad. My profile on Blogger is still active, and the first thing people see is a link directing them to my new site. But still . . . what a MAJOR pain!

12. sam
    November 30, 2007 at 11:38 am (9 years ago)

Not sure what to make of all this yet… though, if I feel like commenting on someone’s site I don’t do it just for the link back, so that really won’t affect my commenting on people’s Blogger sites.

13. Natalie
    November 30, 2007 at 11:44 am (9 years ago)

Since neither one of those fields was a *required* field before, I think the move was blatant. I noticed it this morning as well and thought maybe Swistle had changed her format somehow (because that’s the only blogger blog I’ve been to today). I’m really glad I’ve switched to WordPress now, I noticed another feature was gone last night but I can’t remember what it was now! It’s sad, really, because I find other people’s blogs through comments and blogrolls and blogger is effectively trying to stop that from happening. It’s quite restricting and stupid.

14. Natalie
    November 30, 2007 at 11:46 am (9 years ago)

Oh, and while I don’t comment for linkbacks (Like Sam said), I do appreciate knowing exactly which Sara, Sam, John, Paul is commenting on my blog, as I identify them through their blogs. I guess they other option is to leave the link in the comment, but I always feel wierd doing that.

15. ~JJ!
    November 30, 2007 at 11:57 am (9 years ago)

I noticed that. Gah.
    Now I’m all bent outta shape.

16. amy
    November 30, 2007 at 12:01 pm (9 years ago)

This blows. I don’t want to switch! What a royal pain.

BTW – if you install the Halo thingy it wipes out all your previous blogger comments. (They are somehow still there, but no one sees them on your posts. It looks as if there are zero comments.)

I installed it this morning and had to remove it because I’m doing a give-away and all the people who commented to win were wiped out by Halo. Can’t have that!

17. Linda
    November 30, 2007 at 12:11 pm (9 years ago)

Thanks for posting this. Thought I was going bonkers because blogs I used to comment wouldn’t let me anymore. I’m going to reference it at my blog for my blogger.com friends. : )

18. Heidi Hyde
    November 30, 2007 at 12:36 pm (9 years ago)

Why are they trying to be so exclusive? Are there people out there who only want to be in the “blogger clique”?

πŸ˜‰

-HH

November 30, 2007 at 1:15 pm (9 years ago)

Ok. I guess I’m going to go self-hosted sooner than I thought. F*ck.

20. Average Jane
    November 30, 2007 at 1:27 pm (9 years ago)

I have a “fake” blog on Blogger that has only one post on it linking to my real Typepad blog. I use it for commenting on restricted-comment Blogger blogs (there were some even before this). It’s kind of a lot of trouble, but I suppose it’s better than having to leave anonymous comments.

21. Gamer
    November 30, 2007 at 1:35 pm (9 years ago)

This totally sucks.

22. Krista
    November 30, 2007 at 2:07 pm (9 years ago)

well, I do get a little tired of typing in my name/email/website every time I visit a non-blogger blog, but then again I have been rather disenchanted myself with google in general lately. what’s up with no folders in gmail?
    and there is absolutely no way to contact google about this issue. I went looking. I can find a phone number for any office, but there is no general email. they even say “leave us feedback”, but their contact page has no feedback form. I may actually just resort to calling them. yay, free cell phone minutes.
    and I may look into a new blog host as well… people please recommend one!

23. Busy Mom
    November 30, 2007 at 2:19 pm (9 years ago)

I am speechless.

24. windyridge
    November 30, 2007 at 3:38 pm (9 years ago)

The problem with haloscan is you lose all your comments!!!! I just tried it and they all disappeared, on the whole blog, 2 years worth. I guess I will have to restore the original template

November 30, 2007 at 5:06 pm (9 years ago)

I think it’s ridiculous to not allow the links from other bloggers. Though I don’t know why it would be some exclusivity reason on Blogger’s part. I mean, why? What would be their point?

26. Sleeping Mommy
    November 30, 2007 at 5:58 pm (9 years ago)

I saw that they had made this change this morning when I went to leave a comment on someone’s blog. It’s really irritating. They used to have it set up where you had to have an account to leave a comment a few years back–that’s how I got sucked into blogging and initially using Blogspot.

27. Rose
    November 30, 2007 at 6:13 pm (9 years ago)

I have voiced my concern about this. Blogger has introduced open ID to Blogger in draft yet took away our other option. This blows!

28. Sara
    November 30, 2007 at 6:49 pm (9 years ago)

“And as far as people not commenting because the comment won’t give a precious link back to their blog?? Um, yeah. If someone is only commenting at my site to whore out their own, then bye bye.”

I don’t think too may people comment just to whore out their blogs, but to be honest, finding good bloggers is the #1 reason I read comments on other people’s blogs. I generally don’t care what so-and-so thinks of a post someone else makes, but reading a funny comment is the quickest way to get me to visit a blog I’ve never been to. I assume other people tend to feel the same way.

I also know it’s a proven fact blog readers are lazy. Stats say usually only 1-5 out of 100 readers on any given post will leave a comment. That sad amount drops dramatically when you force them to register to leave a comment. I admit I would be considerably less likely to comment on a blogspot blog now unless I really like the post, or they are a regular reader here.

Finally, I think readers *should* be rewarded for commenting. It all goes back to that two-way relationship thing. Anyone can read anything I put up, but I truly appreciate those who take the time and effort to stop and let me know what they think of my posts. I could just as easily adjust my settings to where nothing is required but a name, but I think commenters should be rewarded not only with the linkbacks(and google juice since I am dofollow), but the chance for new readers to discover them here.

29. Secret Agent Mama
    November 30, 2007 at 7:27 pm (9 years ago)

Yeah, I thought that was pretty bunk. I’m a big advocate of WORDPRESS! It rules. Blogger drools..

30. Jerseygirl89
    November 30, 2007 at 7:40 pm (9 years ago)

This SO ticks me off. I had another issue with blogger that has yet to be resolved. I have been thinking about leaving for a while, but I am scared to lose all the people who read me, link to me, etc. I don’t want to start over. Yet I’d also like them to be able to comment – and to be able to find them through their comments. This sucks.

31. cagey
    December 1, 2007 at 12:21 am (9 years ago)

I did not think this was something new – Blogger has been doing this for awhile now, the whole “requiring an account” commenting thing.

Also, I used Haloscan for years, but they do NOT keep your comments forever – after awhile, they disappear. Be aware of that. I switched back to Blogger’s comments and did not look back.

I know it is easy to dog on Blogger, but they are providing a fairly kick-ass blogging platform FOR FREE. I use WordPress for another blog I write and frankly, would prefer to use Blogger.

32. Lifecruiser
    December 1, 2007 at 5:28 am (9 years ago)

I think this is a way to try to keep bloggers at Blogger, but that’s just to bite themselves in the tail. It can have the opposite effect if they don’t are careful. This can be another reason for bloggers to leave Blogger.

This is totally UNFAIR. Think about if it were the opposite, if all WP or Typepad blogs would stop leaving links to Blogger blogs? What a mess it would be to comment and to follow comments. After all, we like to socialize and I love to follow other links in the comment area.

Bad, bad thinking of Blogger-Google!!!!

I agree with you when it comes to the complains. I don’t see why not ALL bloggers could send a complaint, not only the ones on Blogger. Even if it is wish-thinking πŸ™‚

33. Lina
    December 1, 2007 at 5:40 am (9 years ago)

This is not right – more and more, blogspot is taking control of the blog network from bloggers and given many of Google’s recent decisions, it is all the more reason to move on to WordPress. Something that I have been meaning to do for a while, but as with many other commenters, migration is a big project which I am not looking forward to! Thanks for the info – as of now, you were the only blogger that came up on searches for this new feature I just found. Good luck everyone with finding a perfect solution! As for me, I am planning migration, perhaps over some time, but slowly, I will have nothing to do with Blogspot.

34. Annie
    December 1, 2007 at 6:53 am (9 years ago)

I use blogger and I hadn’t even noticed this – but I don’t generally get into too much detail about the technical aspects of blogging.

It’s just interesting to me though that one of the most popular bloggers out there, whom most people reading your blog likely read, uses blogger. She gets the most comments of any other blogger I read so I guess if the content is good – people will read, regardless of the platform, you know?

35. Sara
    December 1, 2007 at 7:02 am (9 years ago)

Sorry Cagey, but that is just not correct. Up until yesterday *the blog owner could choose* to only allow comments from those who had blogger accounts, but most people did not enable this feature, because it could possibly restrict their comments, and who wants that? I know this to be true because I do not use blogger, and until yesterday was able to leave my own name/URL link the same as always. I have a short list of blogs I read daily, the majority of whom are on blogger, and had no problems leaving comments until yesterday morning. I started checking every blogger blog on my reading list, and every one of them now has this, and according to them, have no way to turn it off.

36. Stepford Mom
    December 1, 2007 at 9:35 am (9 years ago)

There are far too many “accounts” on various platforms for me to keep up with as it is, I’m not going to add another one just so I can comment on someone’s site. I am probably rare in that I have one google account and it’s tied to my real name and personally if I wanted the world to know that I would use it rather than this alias.

37. jodi
    December 1, 2007 at 10:27 am (9 years ago)

Hello, came via cre8buzz…I had noticed this…Yet I have haloscan, so it doesnt affect me or my readers. I do think its awful that they do this…and people on blogger who dont have another commenting system, should complain. Unsure if it will do any good, doesnt hurt to try!

38. zoom
    December 1, 2007 at 10:30 am (9 years ago)

Thanks for posting this – I was all over Blogger’s site trying to find some explanation for this change, and it wasn’t even mentioned. So far you’re the first person I’ve found who is talking about it.

This change is already negatively impacting the linkages and communications among bloggers. Effectively turning Blogger into a closed community is bad for the entire blogging community, especially those who use Blogger.

I’d like to do as you suggest and fire off an email to Blogger about it, but I can’t find an email address for them anywhere on their site. If you know how to reach them, could you post that info? Thanks.

zoom

39. pickel
    December 1, 2007 at 10:33 am (9 years ago)

I am so frustrated with this. Two weeks ago I lost my tags and not my comments? What next, the links?

40. cagey
    December 1, 2007 at 12:38 pm (9 years ago)

Sara,
    I guess I misunderstood. In the past, I had allowed comments from “anyone”, but this past spring had to restrict that when I began receiving hateful comments from an anonymous commenter.

Do I wish Blogger made it easier? Of course, but I guess overall it does not matter to me – I read several non-Blogger sites that require registration and I do not mind. If the site is important enough for me to want to comment, it does not bother me to jump through a hoop and register. For example, I am also a food blogger on WordPress and I did find that in order to comment on the Blogger-hosted food blogs, I had to create another profile to refer to my food blog and not my personal blog.

Hope that makes sense.

41. Patrick D.
    December 1, 2007 at 1:01 pm (9 years ago)

This is complete BS on Google’s part. Just more attempts by them to control the Almighty Link. I plan to write a wordier article on this later today. This is just pathetic on Google’s part.

42. windyridge
    December 1, 2007 at 6:18 pm (9 years ago)

Wanted to mention that if you use haloscan you will lose all of your comments from before the installation.

43. Kelley
    December 1, 2007 at 6:58 pm (9 years ago)

I lurve you. I truly do! I have been trying to find a way around this sneaky little scheme of Blogger and have just (in the last few minutes) found out how to find Haloscan…..

So if I can’t get my fav bloggers to switch to WordPress (the ultimate, like Macs!) then perhaps they can use Haloscan. Thanks so much for the information (and the lovely Meg for pointing me here) Can I link to your blog when I do my mega whinge in a few hours?

44. ali
    December 1, 2007 at 10:49 pm (9 years ago)

i’ve always thought blogger was a total beeyotch…that’s why i left her years ago.
    i hate that she did this. hate hate hate.

45. mummifiedx5
    December 2, 2007 at 1:37 am (9 years ago)

I think what frustrates me the most is the fact that Google is making all these changes and not even making some sort of explanation about what they are doing!

I’m slowly moving away from Blogspot. I can’t totally delete it as yet because I do paid posting and my “own domain” blog is still “too young”.

Google sucks!

46. Tiffany
    December 2, 2007 at 2:27 am (9 years ago)

This isn’t really an entirely new change–for some time now (a few weeks? I’m not sure, exactly), those URLs you entered when you chose “Other” haven’t been turning into links. That’s basically been a “Nickname” field for a while now, but no one told us.

47. Alan
    December 2, 2007 at 6:32 am (9 years ago)

I don’t want to switch to WordPress and have all the aggravation of migrating a site I finally have set up and working the way I want. I don’t want to install Haloscan and lose all of my old comments. I just want my blog that worked great yesterday to keep working the way it has. Is that too much to ask for from Google?

48. clara
    December 2, 2007 at 12:23 pm (9 years ago)

Thanks Sara for posting about this. Just seconds ago, I had just finished typing my comments on a blogger’s site but could not find the usual field for the link. Glad I did a search and found your post!

49. Elaine
    December 2, 2007 at 3:20 pm (9 years ago)

I noticed this too a couple days ago when trying to comment at friend’s who use blogger. Personally I think this was a poor decision by google! I have many blogger friends that comment regularly at my blog and I welcome their link! It disturbs me that I can no longer leave mine at theirs πŸ™

50. Kirk M
    December 2, 2007 at 4:07 pm (9 years ago)

If anyone wishes help on switching to WordPress (either the .com version or actually hosting your own) I’d be more than happy to help. But in case anyone is wondering, switching to a WordPress.com blog can be done at your own pace and it won’t affect your Blogger blog in any way. It’s as simple as obtaining a free account, setting up the basics for a new blog (easy) and then using the “Import” option to import all your posts and comments from Blogger into your new WP.com blog. In fact I just imported all my posts and comments from my test Blogger blog over to my test WordPress.com blog after reading this post and the comments thereof…no sweat.

So you can keep your Blogger type blog viable until you’re satisfied with your WP.com version and then post a “I’ve switched to WP.com” type post when you’re ready. My first iteration of my current blog was at the old Blogger and I went to WP.com because I didn’t like the way Blogger did business even back then. Currently I “host my own” on the latest WordPress platform.

51. Sophmom
    December 2, 2007 at 4:10 pm (9 years ago)

Thanks for posting about this! I’m furious about it and have been battling it all weekend. It would have been nice of them to tell us, rather than leave us to try to figure out what was wrong, wondering if our buddies blogging at Blogger have changed their commenting options.

First, once I established a gmail account they would no longer allow me to log into blogger or my Google toolbar with my Yahoo.com account. I established both my blogger blog and my Google toolbar with the yahoo account but now, even when I log into either of them with the yahoo mail address, it reverts automatically to the gmail address, sending follow up comments there.

Then they changed commenting to restrict the link back, limiting the choices to either the linkless nickname option or to the blogger blog only option. I have a blogger blog and a wordpress blog (mostly just to hold the place for my screen name and blog name to avoid confusion), but my primary blog, the one I’d like to provide a link for when I comment, is at blog-city. It has nothing to do with “whoring” my blog(s), but rather everything to do with providing a pathway that encourages community, even when it’s across blog hosts.

It’s very short-sighted and violates the spirit of the internet that Google from the beginning has claimed to embrace. Shame on Google. So much for their founding motto, “Don’t be evil.”

52. moosh in indy.
    December 2, 2007 at 11:39 pm (9 years ago)

Going self hosted may have cause some panic induced anxiety attacks only remedied by food.
    But boy I’m glad I made blogger kiss my tucchus.

53. Tiffany
    December 2, 2007 at 11:43 pm (9 years ago)

Apparently, what we’re seeing currently isn’t the final version, either. I’ve installed the “draft” version of the comment feature, which will incorporate openID and let bloggers sign in with their WordPress IDs, on my blog at http://www.whatswrongaroundus.blogspot.com (not spamming…really…but if you want to see how the planned comment system will work, I’m using it on that blog only right now).

This is a bit better than what’s going on at present but does NOT solve the problem of being able to provide a link back to your blog, or of Blogspot bloggers being unable to see the true origins of traffic that’s forced to pass through their profiles (this, presumably, will apply to OpenID and WordPress log-ins as well, but I’m guessing)

54. Natalie
    December 2, 2007 at 11:44 pm (9 years ago)

I can’t remember how I submitted an issue via email before, but I looked through my old emails and VOILA! the support address is, you guessed it…support@blogger.com. If anybody is interested.

55. Natalie
    December 2, 2007 at 11:55 pm (9 years ago)

Oh and PS. If you use Julie Pippert’s idea, make sure you leave the quotes off and put in the http://. Otherwise it will take you straight back to a non-existent blogger address. Sara, if you see a gazillion links coming from my blog it’s because I was testing this out.

56. Sarcastic Mom
    December 3, 2007 at 12:16 am (9 years ago)

Makes me pretty sad. I feel the same way Alan does. I’ve worked pretty hard on my blog since it’s been up, and quite frankly, I’ve busted my ass to get inbound links. Like a lot of other people, I find myself pretty busy with life, too, and it takes a shitload of effort to start all over again.

Blogger sucks ass for doing this.

It would suck just as much ass for anyone to withold their comments from Blogger users because of it. As if this were something we asked for?

It’s valid to say it makes you angry because you won’t be able to find good bloggers through their links on comments anymore, but for anyone to say they’ll stop commenting others because of the move is like saying they only comment to leave their links in the first place. And that’s BS, sorry.

I hope my content is interesting/funny/whatever enough to my readers that they will comment me anyway.

Trying not to be combative here, just really think the whole thing blows.

(I obviously believe in linky love, after all, I removed “nofollow” from my own blog.)

I wonder how many readers I’d even have if I turned off comments… how many people come by JUST to read? Because they think it’s good? And have no need to draw attention to themselves?

*sigh*

57. andi
    December 3, 2007 at 1:09 am (9 years ago)

I’ve been doing what Julie suggested in her comment. It’s a good work around (for now, until Google gets their act together and realizes this was a stupid idea).

58. Lifecruiser
    December 3, 2007 at 7:01 am (9 years ago)

I don’t like that, to be forced to leave my a href link in the comment body, it’s not quite the same since I then have to copy and paste a lot instead of getting it “automatically” filled in.

59. Stephen
    December 3, 2007 at 8:50 am (9 years ago)

Sheesh. I’m glad I put the link to my site in my Blogger profile. I see people hopping over from there a few times a week.

60. iamthediva
    December 3, 2007 at 9:36 am (9 years ago)

GRR!! that’s all i can say… and when i went to try to find the email address to complain…i couldn’t! why? why don’t they want us to have their email address? their help page is the most ridiculous thing i’ve ever seen, not helpful at all.

61. Chris
    December 3, 2007 at 2:23 pm (9 years ago)

I am furious about this. Furious!

I’m going to move all my blogs away from blogger this weekend. I just can’t deal with the incessant jerking around.

I understand that they make their living by controlling who gets paid for links and who doesn’t and keeping a cut on as many ends as possible, but it’s getting to be ridiculous at this point.

They’re chipping away at the interactions that help make the blogosphere what it is.

62. Snoskred
    December 3, 2007 at 5:21 pm (9 years ago)

I agree this is an entirely unacceptable change from Google/Blogger and the worst part of it is – unless the blogger involved has gone out of their way to make comment links do follow – a difficult task – all links from comments with blogger were already no follow. The only reason it was useful was so people could find their way to your blog.

Did those of you on blogger know that your robots.txt was modified by Google some time ago, directing their robots to your site feed?

Blogger messing about with search engines

The bottom line is on Blogger you have absolutely no control. Blogger can even delete your blog, if they feel like it. Self Hosted WordPress is the way you can have the most control over your blog, but many people are scared of it because they think it is too technical. That’s not the case, but fear stops people from making these kinds of changes.

If anyone here is wanting an easy move from Blogger to a self hosted WordPress blog, we offer an easy and cheap solution at just $5 per month. We can move your old blogger blog over for you, too. In fact we can set it all up how you want it and then just hand you the keys, if you like.

Cheers,
    Snoskred

63. Simone
    December 3, 2007 at 6:28 pm (9 years ago)

For a minute there I was wondering if I’d imagined that all of these Blogger blogs I like used to allow me to comment with a link back to my blog (WordPress, thankfully!). This is a really silly change and not at all the way to battle spam.

64. Dawn
    December 3, 2007 at 10:44 pm (9 years ago)

Thanks for the tip – I am now using Haloscan for comments. I don’t want to move to WordPress, but I was thinking of moving my blog to Movable Type again, now that I’ve figured out how to use the new version.

I think what they did sucks!

65. JayMonster
    December 3, 2007 at 10:45 pm (9 years ago)

It has been one nightmare after another at Blogger for quite some time now. It seems like every new “feature” they add sends another group of bloggers running for cover and away from Blogger.

I stayed in that nice comfy blanket of Blogger for too long until they broke everything last year with their “upgrade” And since I left Blogger for WP, I am soo thrilled.

It is not as difficult as everybody thinks, and WP.Com (if you still need/want hand holding) makes it braindead easy to run away.

66. Alfred Saforo
    December 4, 2007 at 4:42 am (9 years ago)

I would stay away from blogger and wordpress, too much overcrowding and low quality dead blogs. Iuse squarespace.

67. Robin (the pensieve one)
    December 4, 2007 at 8:32 am (9 years ago)

Hey, I’m back…I’m working on a post in follow-up to this, and I’m picking up all the posts I can find referencing it…seemed like your comments were a great place to find some of those…!

68. SeaBird
    December 4, 2007 at 12:55 pm (9 years ago)

I use SquareSpace and they allow you to leave your name and/or email and/or URL. I like that system the best – you can leave as much or as little info as you like!

69. slackermommy
    December 4, 2007 at 1:24 pm (9 years ago)

It totally blows. It’s probably time for me to move. My comments are way down. I know I’m more likely to not leave a comment if it’s a pain in the ass to do so. It’s not about linky love. I read a lot of blogs and have several blogspot blogs under different google accounts. I don’t have time for signing in and out of google accounts.

70. Otto - American Interests
    December 4, 2007 at 4:55 pm (9 years ago)

It’s a bad move on the part of blogger..

I tried Haloscan and all comments past disappeared so I re-uploaded the old template and decided that Haloscan was not for me…

Is there any way around this? Do I have to lose past comments if I use Haloscan….Can anyone rovide an answer or oint me somewhere to read more…many many thanks in advance….

71. Maddy
    December 5, 2007 at 2:27 pm (9 years ago)

It had me flummoxed for a while, couldn’t figure out what on earth had happened. To be honest I still don’t really understand the ins and outs of it, I just know that it makes commenting far more awkward.
    Cheers

72. Sarcastic Mom
    December 5, 2007 at 9:06 pm (9 years ago)

Okay, I’ve had even more time to think about this and I’M FUCKING PISSED OFF.
    Excuse my Not So Nice Girl Language all over your comments section.

Not only is this ridiculous, stupid, and motherfucked, but you can’t say “thanks” to anyone for something nice they suggested, said, whatever, anymore. That really tans my hide.

FURTHERMORE, whatever they’ve continued to dick around with now has my ‘comments to email’ feature all screwed. I’m getting less than half of my comments e-mailed to me.

I’M MOVING MY BLOG.

Motherfuck.

73. Kirk M
    December 6, 2007 at 11:31 am (9 years ago)

Yup, the reactions are about what I figured. Unbelievable poor of Blogger. And by the way, it’s people that make low quality, dead blogs…not the host(s). πŸ˜‰

So every time I begin to wonder now if hosting my own WordPress install, low quality, dead blog was worth it, I’ll just think about Blogger and feel better about it. See? There’s always something good that comes out of everything isn’t there? πŸ˜›

74. Jennic
    December 6, 2007 at 12:04 pm (9 years ago)

I discovered this change and was very annoyed by it. Am still annoyed by it. I want to be able to put my link back directly there in the comments, not an indirect roundabout thing. I hate roundabouts in anything…

I used to have a Blogger blog but have now switched to my own domain using wordpress. I’m glad I switched long ago.

Interestingly, I’m also receiving about half of my comments – there’s a delay somewhere in the Internet and I hope it’s not going to be a long traffic jam.

75. Kevin
    December 6, 2007 at 1:47 pm (9 years ago)

I noticed this the other day….It’s lame.

76. Kidazy
    December 6, 2007 at 4:50 pm (9 years ago)

I have always used wordpress, blogger can be a royal pain in the butt and wordpress is far more customizable anyhow πŸ™‚

77. becky
    December 8, 2007 at 8:35 pm (9 years ago)

Ok I am really pissed off with blogger now!!! I did create a profile on blogger just for my new blog that has the link to the new blog! My traffic has almost totally stopped now!!! I don’t think anyone is liking the idea of clicking on my name only to come to a profile page and then have to click again on the link to the blog! Just thought I would let you know how this is affecting me. Its not the traffic that I am after but it would be nice to know that if i leave a comment on a blog that someone would at least find out who I am and where I am.
    Oh well! I will continue doing my commenting on all blogs cause I love to read and love to let the host know that i was there and what I thought even if its not returned to me!

78. Melissa
    December 9, 2007 at 7:53 am (9 years ago)

Glad to see I’m in good company by being irritated about this Blogger development. Which I only discovered by attempting to leave comments on some of my favorite Blogger blogs. No longer able to leave my identifying information, I resorted to typing my blog address in the actual comment so the blog owners would know it was me.

Totally frustrating!

79. Lela
    December 9, 2007 at 12:11 pm (9 years ago)

I am a WordPress girl myself and am extremely irked that Blogger has done this. I read a lot of blogs that use their platform, and am disappointed that they have disrupted the return visits. I am marching over to my site to link to your post here, I was going to write one myself, but you put way more elegantly than I would have! Lol!

80. jenny-up the hill
    December 11, 2007 at 11:44 am (9 years ago)

I’m adding my address in the comments section….and it’s taking too long. Most irritating!!

81. Redneck Mommy
    December 11, 2007 at 3:19 pm (9 years ago)

Boy did this piss me off when I came back home from vacation and discovered this.

Facking google. Makes me love wordpress all the more.

82. Mary
    December 11, 2007 at 4:02 pm (9 years ago)

I was going to move over to worpress anyway, but now I have even more reason!

83. Speener
    December 11, 2007 at 6:06 pm (9 years ago)

I moved my blog off of blogger over a year ago and have nothing but good things to say about WordPress. The best thing is that it’s so extensible, that if you don’t like something, it’s generally pretty easy to change it by adding a plug-in. Moving a blog sucks, but becoming stuck with a platform that is this clueless sucks harder.

84. VDog
    December 14, 2007 at 12:40 pm (9 years ago)

So they’ve “fixed” it now. Le Sigh.

What jabrones.

And I’m still on Blogger. Le Sigh.

85. Samantha
    December 14, 2007 at 1:57 pm (9 years ago)

Great post. I hope it really is fixed. πŸ™‚

86. Sophmom
    December 14, 2007 at 4:45 pm (9 years ago)

Speener said: “What galls me about this is the total ignorance of what blogging is about. Sometimes I comment, and then go back to blog about what I just read. The idea is to encourage community, to share with your peers, to circumvent the structure that we’re so often asked to adhere to for no good reason.”

Exactly! I’ve had my blog since June of 2004. I have 112 blogs in my blogroll. I have found myself starting to click on a blog from my blogroll to pay them a visit and stopping upon realizing that the one I was considering is a blogger blog, knowing the difficulty I’ll encounter when attempting to comment. These are the steps as I experience them:

1. Click the link;
    2. Read the post (which may or may not include clicking links and reading other things);
    3. Click on comments;
    4. Click on the “This page displays both secure and nonsecure items…” warning (BTW, “nonsecure” is not a word);
    5. Begin writing my comment;
    6. Realizing it’s blogger, I open another tab to sign into blogger, something I have to do over and over regardless of the fact that I’m signed into my google toolbar;
    7. Go to my blog to pull out the code for the link (I realize I could eliminate this step by learning the code for the link – working on that one);
    8. Copy and paste the code into the comment field at the end of my comment;
    9. Enter my blogger username and password into the username and password field (this, despite the fact that I’m signed into both my google toolbar and blogger);
    10. Sometimes I have to do #9 twice;
    11. Post my comment.

Now, I’m thinking that I should put an asterisk by all the blogger blogs in my blogroll just so I can know if I’m going to head over there, what kind of time and effort commitment I’m making. Like Speener said, it shows their “total ignorance of what blogging is about.” *sigh*

Sophmom’s last blog post..Bad Holiday Videos (adult content alert)

87. Queen of Shake Shake
    December 23, 2007 at 6:26 am (9 years ago)

Sara…thought you should know this.

Blogger has corrected the problem.

Now under the “Nickname” option there is an area to place your URL to your blog. That links directly to your blog.

Maybe they responded to all the complaints they received.

88. Patrick D.
    December 23, 2007 at 2:04 pm (9 years ago)

Good job, Blogger. Apparently, if you screamed loud enough about something, someone will listen. Very cool.

89. Rose
    January 9, 2008 at 10:44 am (9 years ago)

They added the url option back. πŸ™‚

90. sevenpics
    March 21, 2008 at 7:26 pm (9 years ago)

it changed again i think. Cause i remember i comment in one blogger blog yesterday using only my name and url (non blogger)

91. Gadget Mania
    September 13, 2008 at 4:03 am (9 years ago)

just came across this, looks like lots of people will be migrating to wordpress, cant really blame them. i thought google would have had more sense than this

92. European Cruises
    November 6, 2008 at 6:38 am (9 years ago)

I don’t find this decision the most suitable one. They should reconsider it because this way they will lose a lot of their viewers and they won’t have the same success like they had until now.

93. sarah
    December 21, 2009 at 6:39 pm (7 years ago)

An excellent comprehensive post. One thing that annoyed me was that the change to the comment form was not announced and blogspot users had to find out from other sources. Some were puzzled as to why their comments had tailed off. I made my move away from blogspot a few weeks ago for so many reasons – I reckon this will be the final straw for many and they will do the same.