Ugggggggggg…Why did I want to do this whole PTA thing?

We had what I thought was going to be our normal business meeting last night. Not a lot going on right now, so it should be quick in and out, easy-peasy. No. Turns out the spirit shirts(wtf is that exactly?) were in, and we had to sort them out by class and put them in bags to be delivered today. Confusing as all heck, since only every other page had sizes listed on it. (The person who made the sheets up seemed to think I would be coordinated enough to follow the columns down the page if they were put one on top of the other. Fooled her!) The short meeting turned into a 3 hour ordeal, even with 4 of us working on it.

At the end of it the PTA president asked me to do a couple things, one of which was holding onto the class lists and extra shirts. We knew we came up short on two sizes and had extras on others, so we figured either we were sent the wrong number, or somewhere along the line a shirt or two got put in the wrong bag. No biggie, we could re-order what was needed, and if anyone got the wrong size we figured they’d send it back. It will all work out in the end.

So I get a call a few minutes ago from our VP of fundraising. One of the ladies in the office called and said one teacher was missing a shirt, and another got a wrong size. Ok, fine, easily remedied, right? No, not so. Instead of taking down names for me to contact them, or directing them to us, she is asking someone be in the office tomorrow morning to field any teachers or parents asking about the shirts. Do what?? ❓ I have to drop Gabrielle off and take the boys to preschool, so I am now lined up to go sit in the office for exactly 20 minutes tomorrow morning, just in case someone comes in asking.

No one is supposed to meet me, I am supposed to be there, for 20 minutes, just in case someone comes in with a question.

With a 2 1/2 year old and a 4 year old.

Anyone else getting this? I’m a bit stumped. 😕

21 Comments on And This Will Help..What, Exactly?

1. Dawn
    November 7, 2007 at 5:18 pm (10 years ago)

The one year I did PTA and was in charge of membership was enough for me. People forget that it’s a volunteer position. Hang in there!! I’m sending some good thoughts your way!!
    dawn 😛

2. Erica (crummy cupcake)
    November 7, 2007 at 6:15 pm (10 years ago)

Nothing makes me want to drink abusively like volunteer positions. PTA seems to be a particularly nasty den of vipers. I don’t know what it is, either. They seem like such reasonable people on the street but call someone the chairperson for the closing the door committee and, POOF, duplication of effort and shameless time wasting are top priorities. That’s why I don’t do it anymore. My condolences.

3. Rachel
    November 7, 2007 at 6:24 pm (10 years ago)

Ugh.
    You have my sympathies and my suggestion… a nice huge frozen margarita (or beer)!

4. Jerseygirl89
    November 7, 2007 at 7:32 pm (10 years ago)

You mean they’re sending you to the principal’s office? Do they read your blog?

What this means is that the school secretaries (who wield all the power) are sick of dealing with whiny teachers and are too lazy to pass on your phone number. Have fun. 🙂

5. Amanda
    November 7, 2007 at 7:37 pm (10 years ago)

so what happens after the 20 minutes? Does the shirt fairy come to your house and tell you whos shirt is messed up? ugh! god forbid the chick in the office field questions, take names for screwed up shirts so that you can fix them. I hate high and mighty office bitches.

6. GHD
    November 7, 2007 at 7:39 pm (10 years ago)

WOW! and people wonder why there are never enough volunteers for the PTA….

As if you don’t have enough on your plate. Happy thoughts coming your way.

7. SocalMom
    November 7, 2007 at 7:49 pm (10 years ago)

School products was always the biggest headache at my daughter’s elementary school. No one who took on that job lasted for very long.

I’m so sorry you got stuck with that today.

As for me, I’ve been noticeably invisible from PTA since we started middle school. I plan to continue laying low.

8. FENICLE
    November 7, 2007 at 9:11 pm (10 years ago)

Just in case they have a question??? Uh, hell no!

9. Elizabeth
    November 7, 2007 at 9:49 pm (10 years ago)

Oh, now I have GOT to write up the story of the time I volunteered to help run the Little Caesar’s Pizza Kit sale at my kids’ school. It was a nightmare of EPIC proportions. I refuse to go anywhere near the PTA now, it was that bad.

10. creative-type dad
    November 7, 2007 at 10:27 pm (10 years ago)

So what?

Get a belt and have them wear it anyways.

11. Leann I Am
    November 7, 2007 at 11:43 pm (10 years ago)

I have a 4-year-old AND an almost 2-year-old and just sitting in the office with them for a few minutes would make them think twice about asking me to hang out there again without a specific purpose!

I hope it all works out…some of those parents can be a real pain in the arse!

12. Melissa Garrett
    November 8, 2007 at 6:34 am (10 years ago)

GASP!! From one PTA mom to another – I FEEL FOR YOU!!

If it makes you feel any better, I have to take my three kids (8, 6, and 2) to two parent teacher conferences next week because my husband is traveling . . . for the second week in a row.

13. cate
    November 8, 2007 at 8:59 am (10 years ago)

all these PTA stories are making me dread the boys’ school years!!! yikes! 😮

14. Mommy Daisy
    November 8, 2007 at 9:41 am (10 years ago)

Yikes, I don’t get it. No point to that, except maybe to torture you. 😆

15. OHmommy
    November 8, 2007 at 10:31 am (10 years ago)

Yikes, I too am dreading the school years.

16. Julie Pippert
    November 8, 2007 at 10:33 am (10 years ago)

This? Is why I hide from the PTA even though some of my best friends are on it. And? Why I hide from the room mother, even though she’s a sweetie.

If I wanted to work for the school I would…for a paycheck and benefits. Yep, that’s me, heartless. Apparently.

Julie
    Using My Words

17. Yer Mama
    November 8, 2007 at 11:20 am (10 years ago)

I’m with Erica.
    I did it last year, and they were vipers, add to it, none of them could work a cash register, and I had to be called in to go up and show them, they were all waiting to buy their own darn books with their discount for working it!

I opted this year to only go in during school parties, and avoid the nonsense, I have too much always on my plate to sit and gossip and waste time with the PTA in my town, nothing ever seemed to get done, and it was constant chaos and mistakes.

I’ll be thinking of you, hang in there, do your best, and remember you don’t have to do it again if you don’t want to, there are a ton of other ways you can be part of your kids schooling experience!

November 8, 2007 at 2:36 pm (10 years ago)

Yes, these are the important things the PTA should be spending so much time on.

Stupid shirts.

Because there aren’t bigger issues at our school? As in benches that are needed for the parents to sit on for all of 10 minutes a day! Yes, that’s very important and deserves the THOUSANDS of dollars spent on them.

Sorry, this is why I refuse to join the PTA again. Their perspective is screwed and they get wrapped up in superficial problems. That way it keeps them too busy to try to address real issues, say like a letter writing campaign to our fed and state reps to help get monies to get rid of the now 2 grade levels that are in trailers.

Ugh.

19. michele
    November 8, 2007 at 5:17 pm (10 years ago)

I, myself, am the official Lion Times Editor! Sigh. It’s a lot of hours. I try to stay out of the politics, but I SWEAR it’s like jr. high.

20. justmylife
    November 9, 2007 at 10:29 am (10 years ago)

That is exactly why I don’t volunteer at school anymore! I was suppose to work the fall festival for 1 hour then be able to take my child around. I worked the whole 4 hours!!! I decided no more volunteering at school!