DirectTv is supposed to come switch out our dish today. Time given- between 8am and noon.

At 10am I get a call saying they will be late, and will be here “a little after 12, maybe 12:30 or closer to 1”.

It’s 1:45 and they are not here yet.

I’m seriously tempted to wait until the guy gets on his ladder and let the air out of his tires or something.

Why do they always pull this crap?????

18 Comments on We’ll Be There Between 8am and Never.

1. Deb - Mom of 3 Girls
    October 8, 2007 at 2:42 pm (10 years ago)

My hubby works as a cable installer so he deals with the frustration of this all the time. It’s so hard to judge how long a particular job will take them until they get there and even them sometimes it takes longer (or shorter) than they originally think it might.

I hate it too – mostly because we never know what time he’s going to get home at night and there’s no way to plan on or count on him for anything since we never know how many hours he’ll be working on any particular day. Just the nature of the job, I guess…

I hope they got there soon afterward! 🙂

2. Sara
    October 8, 2007 at 3:23 pm (10 years ago)

This must have been a heck of a job then! Almost 4:30 and still not here…Grrrrrr 👿

3. SummerM
    October 8, 2007 at 4:03 pm (10 years ago)

I hate that! It’s probably why I let things go undone, I hate trying to deal with scheduling appointments.

4. Shauna
    October 8, 2007 at 4:29 pm (10 years ago)

The most annoying part is that if they have to wait two minutes (because, maybe you were in the bathroom), they don’t do the visit or charge you for it! They don’t even bother to call.

Not that this has happened to me. It happened to a, ur, friend. Yeah, that’s it. It happened to a friend! 😉

5. Sara
    October 8, 2007 at 5:03 pm (10 years ago)

LOL Shauna! They finally did show up, after 5pm..Unreal.

6. Jerseygirl89
    October 8, 2007 at 8:28 pm (10 years ago)

I schedule everything on the same day – once we had the dishwasher guy, the cable guy and a guy fixing the windshield. That way the cable guy can let the dishwasher guy in if you’re in the bathroom.

7. BetteJo
    October 8, 2007 at 9:16 pm (10 years ago)

Usually they don’t even call …

8. Christina
    October 9, 2007 at 4:52 am (10 years ago)

At least they showed up. Last month we had digital phone installed by the cable company, and they didn’t show up at all on the day they were supposed to be here. I waited all day for nothing. Grrr.

9. Mimipz5wjj
    October 9, 2007 at 7:29 am (10 years ago)

I hear ya! They gave us a time frame of 12-5 and showed up at 7:30 PM on our Anniversary, did a half assed job, left a mess in the drive way, and didn’t do it right….

Then, while they were here they were told it was a “rush job” so they were called in on their day off — we’d have been just as happy to have it done the next day!

10. homemom3
    October 9, 2007 at 7:55 am (10 years ago)

Oh man, I wanted directv because my soaps moved there. But hate the waiting for the cable men….never show up.

11. JayMonster
    October 9, 2007 at 9:48 am (10 years ago)

My father refused to get cable for the longest time. His reasoning (I should point out he used to work for Ma Bell), was that Cable Guys are idiots, because the only people that work for the Cable Companies are people that can’t get jobs with the phone companies (The logic being that since the phone companies have better benefits, etc, that why else would you work for the Cable Companies).

Now following that logic forward, the only people that get jobs as DirecTV installers are people that can’t get jobs either at the phone company or cable company. THus the BEST installer from DirecTV is worse than the worst installer from the cable company.

(That being said, once it was in I LOVE my DirecTV with TIVO! (Not the cheezy Scientific Atlanta box)

12. Worker Mommy
    October 9, 2007 at 10:36 am (10 years ago)

I despise that 4 hour window…I mean truly how hard is it just to pick a damn time and be there.

13. Sarah @ Real Life
    October 9, 2007 at 4:58 pm (10 years ago)

We waited once till 8 PM. 😯 They called and asked if they could come “tomorrow” and my husband said NO, since we had waited around at home all day for them. They finally showed up. Thats nothing, though. I tried to get my dishwasher fixed, and they wouldn’t even give me a day! They said they would just have to call that morning. Ugh!! 👿

14. WorksForMom
    October 9, 2007 at 5:23 pm (10 years ago)

Oh my, that was flat out hilarious. We recently experienced the same thing waiting for a delivery between a 6 hour window. Which leads me to believe – customer service is roadkill.

15. Mrs. Mustard
    October 9, 2007 at 6:23 pm (10 years ago)

OH! A couple of weeks ago, we had some furniture delivered. They called that morning to say they would be there in the early afternoon. By 3:30, they still had not arrived. i would say that was well past early afternoon, don’t you think?

16. Leslie Swan
    October 16, 2007 at 10:36 pm (10 years ago)

They pull that crap because we are at their mercy and will have to reschedule another 4 (or 8) hour window. A suggestion to make you feel better…if they charged you a service charge for the technician coming out, call the retention department and let them know how displeased you were with the service and how you have already received better offers from other alternatives and ask if you can have the service charge fee waived. More likely than not, they will give you something, just be firm. I know this won’t get your time back, but it always feels a little better to get some money back instead.

17. Bekah
    October 17, 2007 at 3:53 pm (10 years ago)

My husband installs for Dish Network (which is OF COURSE better than Direct TV), and he deals with this too. Sometimes the wiring in people’s houses is awful and he has to rewire the whole place and it takes him an extra hour or so to do the job. Other times, he installs in a new house that’s already wired or had satellite before, and the 3 hour job takes 45 minutes. Every job varies, and some days he doesn’t get home til 10:00 cuz his last job of the day wouldn’t reschedule even though it was after dark. A$$holes…

18. Bekah
    October 17, 2007 at 3:53 pm (10 years ago)