Is anyone really surprised?

Britney Spears loses custody of her children

Troubled pop star ordered to hand over boys to ex-husband

Britney Spears has lost custody of her kids, after a ruling by Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Scott M. Gordon today (October 1).

In a hearing this afternoon, the singer was ordered to turn over custody of Jayden James (1) and Sean Preston (2) to ex-husband Kevin Federline by Wednesday (October 3).

Federline will have sole custody “until further order of the court.”

As previously reported, Federline’s lawyer went to court today alleging that Spears was driving without a California drivers license.

Last Friday, the court found that Spears was a “habitual” user of drugs and she was ordered to attend counseling, meet with a parent coach and submit random drug tests twice a week.

19 Comments on Britney Spears Loses Costody of Kids, Ordered to Turn Over Boys to Ex

1. candace
    October 1, 2007 at 5:02 pm (10 years ago)

It’s hard to believe that k-fed would be the lesser of two evils.

2. Special K Toni
    October 1, 2007 at 5:22 pm (10 years ago)

No! I would have never guessed! 😉

3. Mrs. Mustard
    October 1, 2007 at 5:27 pm (10 years ago)

Not surprised in the least. I just hope that K-fed knows what he’s doing.
    Those kids are going to be screwed up regardless, so I hope he can minimize the damage.

4. JamieE
    October 1, 2007 at 6:18 pm (10 years ago)

aaannddd. back to sad:( The pity I once felt after she was attack for her VMA thing has vanished back into ambivalence.

5. Secret Agent Mama
    October 1, 2007 at 7:00 pm (10 years ago)

I really hope they have her on some kind of suicide watch.

I told my mom, way back when they divorced, that he was gonna clean up and get those kids. I was right!

6. Sarah (In the Trenches of Mommyhood)
    October 1, 2007 at 7:12 pm (10 years ago)

Thanks for the scoop! I’ve been immersed in Noggin, I Spy, Open Season and outdoor play all day. This was the first I’ve heard of that news!
    Off to investigate further…

7. tiggymooshoo
    October 1, 2007 at 7:15 pm (10 years ago)

I am not surprised at all. I just feel for the boys.

8. tommiea
    October 1, 2007 at 7:58 pm (10 years ago)

how sad, I thought she might commit suicide as well.

9. BetteJo
    October 1, 2007 at 9:04 pm (10 years ago)

That little girl needs some help. She’s spoiled and self centered, not good qualities in a mom. Hopefully she can straighten up. In the meantime – lets hope K-Fed doesn’t screw up like she has. Sheesh!

10. Redneck Mommy
    October 1, 2007 at 10:13 pm (10 years ago)

While I’m not shocked, I am saddened for the kids.

At the rate their parents are going, they don’t have a hope in hell for normalcy.

It would be nice if she’d forget about being famous and focus more on being a mom.

It would also be nice if I grew a money tree out back, but I don’t see either happening anytime soon!

11. VDog
    October 1, 2007 at 10:24 pm (10 years ago)

This is just so sad. My mom told me about it on the phone tonight – she also thought BS might kill herself.

Can we say Rock Bottom? God, I hope so.

12. Jen
    October 2, 2007 at 8:11 am (10 years ago)

Showbiz Tonight said that she makes $700, 000 a month. No wonder no one in her family and/or management team ever let her take a break to get an education or some sense.

13. Jamie (Blonde Mom)
    October 2, 2007 at 6:47 pm (10 years ago)

This is terrible, but I can’t help but notice this is all timed around the release of her new CD.

14. Kathy
    October 3, 2007 at 4:19 pm (10 years ago)

After the head shaving incident back in February, I felt concerned as I would for anyone in the midst of an obvious mental breakdown, after the VMAs, I just felt pity, now I’m just sorry for her kids. She’s been given more chances to turn her life around than the average person, what did she expect? It’s a sad world indeed where K-Fed is the responsible parent.

15. JayMonster
    October 3, 2007 at 4:40 pm (10 years ago)

Actually in some ways, this highlights an issue that bothers me a bit, and that is that the courts are far too giving to the mothers in most cases. Even the media feeds into this, I mean as you point out, just based on what has been seen in the news, Britney has some problems, and it would seem a slam dunk that she would lose her kids (at least temporarily), but look at this article from ABC News:

Just look at the title, “Rush to Judgement on Britney.” Rush? Really? What the hell else does she have to do to prove that she is not fit? And even in this case, it seems it took her not complying with several court orders, and even now the custody is held as, “until otherwise ordered by the court” meaning if she does now start complying that she will get custody back.

Don’t get me wrong, I feel for her in some ways. I can’t imagine living a day without my child. But she needs some SERIOUS help, and it seems that she is going to have a much easier time of it than one would think it should take.

16. Moving Mama
    October 3, 2007 at 7:43 pm (10 years ago)

This is about as surprising as the fact that they are recalling the trains they gave as replacements for the Thomas Trains that were recalled… (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21104258/) Clear as mud, right? And so is the Spears issue 🙁

17. meleah rebeccah
    October 4, 2007 at 11:11 am (10 years ago)

Good. Shes a MESS. Not that he’s much better, but seriously, if finding out that KFED is a better parent doesn’t open your eyes, your in big trouble.