After coming to my hefty revelation this weekend, I’m doing everything I can to completely revamp my eating habits. No more soda, loads more fruits and veggies, taking a vitamin, and all that other good jazz. So far so good, save for one little problem.

All this healthy food seems to have shocked my system a bit. More specifically, all the newfound iron in my diet seems to have brought the system to a screeching halt.  Shit!

Or maybe not so much.

I would have thought eating better would only do good things for my body. Veggies are supposed to keep things moving, right? So why do I feel like I have a freight car broken down halfway down the line??

The good news is once the Fibersure kicks in I am pretty sure I will be dropping a pound or three. Any port in a storm I guess.

16 Comments on Is This Normal?

1. AbsolutelyBananas
    August 19, 2007 at 10:23 pm (10 years ago)

oh boy THAT’S never fun! the fiber in the veggies usually works wonders… but it can take a while for your system to get adjusted. Hope things are… running smoothly… soon!

2. Catherine
    August 19, 2007 at 10:46 pm (10 years ago)

I’ve heard from people that go vegetarian that they’ve experienced similar body reactions. Try fruit to get things “moving”, mandarin oranges and grapes are good places to start.

3. Mammaloves
    August 20, 2007 at 12:38 am (10 years ago)

I’m so glad I’m not the only one.

I’ve had a window open all day to comment on your last post. You have no idea how much it spoke to me. I HAVE to do something. Why is it so difficult??

4. Deborah
    August 20, 2007 at 4:26 am (10 years ago)

Yeppers… very normal unfortunately! Give it a few days! Cut back on dairy too, as it can keep things clogged up! Good for you – good luck!

5. Zephra
    August 20, 2007 at 7:11 am (10 years ago)

Whenever I decide to take the health plunge, I get mad headaches that no medicine can touch. I think my body goes through sugar shock.

6. BetteJo
    August 20, 2007 at 8:01 am (10 years ago)

Water, more water. Fiber will just sit there if you don’t hydrate. Good luck!

August 20, 2007 at 8:15 am (10 years ago)

If you are eating veggies, better stop holding those farts in around your husband. You’ll explode

8. kerry
    August 20, 2007 at 9:00 am (10 years ago)

do you like prunes?

9. Procrastamom
    August 20, 2007 at 10:43 am (10 years ago)

I’m starting again on my dieting today too and I’m also laying off the soda (except I call it pop, eh?). The headaches are going to be wicked I know and I expect I’ll be blocked up for the next week or so. It’s a total shock to a body when you suddenly go healthy.

10. Julie Pippert
    August 20, 2007 at 11:46 am (10 years ago)

Err re. roughage? it depends! I’m a big fan of those fiber tablets with calcium in them. LOL And yeah, a big change can do this. GL…it gets better. 🙂

Julie
    Ravin’ Picture Maven

11. Christy
    August 20, 2007 at 4:17 pm (10 years ago)

Tammy and I are walking every morning if you want to join us!

12. Jen
    August 20, 2007 at 4:20 pm (10 years ago)

Ha! The prenatal vitamins I’m on have done the same thing to me. I swear that the reason I’ve had to switch to maternity pants is not because of the baby, it’s because I’m so backed up.

13. Shauna
    August 20, 2007 at 5:18 pm (10 years ago)

Lots of water. Your body will adjust. In the meantime, you might want to consider taking the vitamin with iron every other day. If you want to take a vitamin every day, look for a senior formula. Those tend to be iron free so you can take that on the other days.

Hope everything comes out okay. (pun intended!)

14. Devilish Southern Belle
    August 24, 2007 at 7:04 am (10 years ago)

I have the same problem, only mine is due to nerves more than my terrible eating habits….so I suppose I will always be this way. Sucks; I look pregnant most of the time. Hope things straighten up for you soon!

15. Houses, Couches, and Babies
    August 25, 2007 at 9:48 pm (10 years ago)

I feel your pain…literally. I am 7 months prego right now and the folic acid in my prenatal vitamin is stopping any and all production…I have tried the Dannon Activia yogurt and that seems to help a bit. You may want to try it, too! Good luck and congrats on changing to a healthier lifestyle!

16. Christine
    August 29, 2007 at 11:21 pm (10 years ago)

This reminds me of a college roommate I had who was a huge partier. One day he capitulated to his girlfriend and promised to clean up his act; he ate a healthy breakfast, exercised, took some vitamins, and promptly threw up.

“Partying never made the throw up,” he said and opened a can of Mountain Dew for lunch.