I am referring of course to the season finales of the two shows that have kept me glued my husband’s 60 inch baby every Sunday night for the last several months.

The Sopranos. Wow. Why do I have a feeling I am not going to be the only one bitching about the way it ended? The buildup was great- the stuff with the FBI agent tipping Tony off, Paulie acting all spooked, the gas station scene, the family meeting at the restaurant. Was anyone else’s heart racing as Meadow repeatedly mis-parked and then ran across the street? You just KNEW this was it, and the adrenaline was pumping. The guy watched them as he walked to the bathroom, and then…THAT??? That’s IT?? When the screen went dark I honestly thought our tv had stopped working. They could not POSSIBLY have ended it the way they did. But they did. They could not have found a worse way to end what previously had been an exciting, well written show. I love HBO, I really do, but I have lost a lot of faith in them tonight and cannot see letting myself get invested in any more new series with them. Not if this is how they reward long-time viewers.

Luckily I didn’t have too much time to brood, as immediately afterwards The Tudors came on. This show has been a rising star for Showtime, and tonight’s episode did not disappoint. I won’t give too much away, but I noticed there were several clues about events to come peppered into this chapter. I have been a fan of the Tudors from day one, and continue to recommend it to anyone who will listen. It’s rare a drama can be so action-packed as to leave you feeling gluttonously stuffed after every episode, yet be so well played out as to continuously whet your appetite for more. The season finale was no exception, and I walked away immensely satisfied, much unlike the King in the last 5 minutes of the show.

To the Tudors, I’ll miss you, and will be counting the days until we meet again in 2008.

To the Sopranos, don’t let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

12 Comments on To Hell and Back in the Space of Two Hours

1. Kara
    June 10, 2007 at 11:06 pm (10 years ago)

ah man…we are slowly watching the soprano’s on dvd…so we are only on season 4 but I was anxious to hear about the ending. Damnit. I wish it was better…..

2. popsolo
    June 11, 2007 at 12:41 am (10 years ago)

I loved it. Great episode, complete with loadsof witty one liners such as “My mother was a borderline personality.” Sad to see AJ bought off, but typical. As for the ending, my wife thought Tony would get hit, but, based on the Journey song, I figured all would end ok. I miss it already, leaving only ‘The Office’ and Larry David as shows we watch together.

3. Deborah
    June 11, 2007 at 2:32 am (10 years ago)

Why did I read this? WHY? We’re about three episodes behind here in Ireland, but I couldn’t contain my curiosity… you didn’t give too much away though! 😉

June 11, 2007 at 6:06 am (10 years ago)

Yeah, I was a bit pissed at the ending. I think there was a lot of symbolism there in that diner scene…all the tension, the calm discussion of the indictment, the happiness…

Tony’s life will always be full of tension, wondering if each person is out to get him. They were much more worried about the Phil Leotardo thing than the possible indictment…

Maybe there’s going to be a movie?

5. Marian
    June 11, 2007 at 8:51 am (10 years ago)

I can understand your point, but personally, I liked the ending. I think it gave us just a little taste of what Tony’s life is like – it could all be over at any minute. It wouldn’t have fit the show (which has been “outside the mold” of traditional tv shows all along) to have a “wrap it up” kind of ending. For a show that brings so many emotions to the viewer, it’s bittersweet but somehow real to think that Tony and his family and crew are still out there battling through their lives, we just don’t get to watch it any more.

6. Antman
    June 11, 2007 at 12:05 pm (10 years ago)

Hated it!!! Some are saying Chase (the writer) is a creative, who masterfully pulled off a great ending. Me, I got it like this. The art, just don’t match the masses. I ain’t no critic, but what I do know is, that at times, what is consider masterful from a creative point of view, just doesn’t fit with all of the normal folk. We ain’t that complicated. We want to be entertained, we wanna feel some sort of closure, we want to feel fulfilled. For the past few years, we’ve been comin’ back to see my boy Tony and company cause we believed, hoped for somethin’ big was gonna happen . . . and well it never really did. We kept given em a pass because it always seemed to be leading up to something bigger. So, last night ya got millions of people waiting for the big payday, a payday that has been building up for years and what did they get? Nada, more of the same. But, now, without the prospect of coming back next week to get it cleared up. The normal folk, just don’t like that kinda slight of hand. Yup, I am with you. A lot of angry folk out there. The water cooler will be an interesting place today.

7. Redneck Mommy
    June 11, 2007 at 2:11 pm (10 years ago)

I need closure. I feel robbed. Buggers.

8. One Tough Momma
    June 11, 2007 at 2:50 pm (10 years ago)

I thought that my Tivo crapped out on the Soprano’s! As for the Tudors, bravo.

9. Pinks & Blues Girls
    June 11, 2007 at 6:44 pm (10 years ago)

We don’t get HBO, so I never watched the Sopranos, but obviously the finale is all I’ve heard about all day (even in line at the bank someone tried to chat about it with me… I don’t know if he was more shocked about the ending or the fact that I didn’t see it)!

Anyway, I am not a fan of ambiguous endings. I still refuse to watch the Seinfeld finale!

10. Devilish Southern Belle
    June 11, 2007 at 8:38 pm (10 years ago)

I haven’t seen The Sopranos finale yet, but have read numerous sites online talking about people thinking their TiVos cut off.

11. JayMonster
    June 11, 2007 at 9:21 pm (10 years ago)

My wife is hooked on The Tudors as well, whereas I have paired my TV viewing down to just CSI and the tandem of The Daily Show and Colbert Report. Other than that, I have seen nothing that isn’t Kim Possible, Raven, Zach and Cody, etc.

I gave up on The Sopranos back around Season 3, when it went from funny show about a guy who happens to be a mob boss, to a “Mob Show.” So obviously I thought the show lost its focus a LONG time ago, and while I am sorry that you (and many others) were disappointed with the ending, I am not really all that surprised. The “funny” part is that they had this little “mini-season” because the shows producers couldn’t “properly tie up all the sub-plots” with the episodes of the final full season, and this is what they came up with. Sad.

12. mcewen
    June 12, 2007 at 9:52 am (10 years ago)

Tis the season of repeats = loathsome. Nevermind, time to catch up on a little more reading instead.
    Cheers