I had an unexpected situation/questions from my daughter, and finally had to have the period talk with her this morning.

She’s fine.

I need a drink.

18 Comments on One Hormonal Female in the House is Enough, Thanks.

1. Erin
    June 18, 2007 at 11:56 am (10 years ago)

This is where I thank god that I am the mother of a son… anything that they need to discuss can be done by his daddy 🙂

June 18, 2007 at 12:57 pm (10 years ago)

You are going to have to tell us more. I need to know more. I realize I have YEARS before I have to deal with this, but I’d like to be prepared.

3. Danielle
    June 18, 2007 at 1:15 pm (10 years ago)

I completely understand. Mine is 9 and we had the talk a few months ago. Why is it that the kids are unfazed by the convo and we look cool on the outside, but freaking out on the inside??

4. MamaLee
    June 18, 2007 at 1:20 pm (10 years ago)

I’m glad I have a few more years. I think. lol

5. manicmama
    June 18, 2007 at 1:28 pm (10 years ago)

I read this and smiled. Now I know there is an upside to having 3 boys!

6. kristi
    June 18, 2007 at 1:38 pm (10 years ago)

Heh. My 11 year old started her period this year. ELEVEN . She has a cousin who is 13 so they have had many discussions on the subject.

7. Tina
    June 18, 2007 at 4:28 pm (10 years ago)

I’ve been talking to Paola about this for years LOL – probably around 7 years old – I let it be known – as she ran to get a pad for me in another room – that ONE day – she would need them too! It’s always been an open topic in my house.

8. Tina
    June 18, 2007 at 4:29 pm (10 years ago)

p.s she is 9 1/2 now

9. CharmingDriver
    June 18, 2007 at 6:40 pm (10 years ago)

Dude. I used to feel so bad for my dad (ok not until I was grown but whatever, it counts) because he grew up with three sisters, a thousand girl cousins, aunts and of course, his mom. Then he married (a woman, heh), had two daughters and even all of our pets were female. I’m amazed his nuts didn’t turn to ovaries from estrogen overload.

Good luck with the girl, eeeeeek. They grow up SO fast.

10. moosh in indy.
    June 18, 2007 at 8:48 pm (10 years ago)

Little girls shouldn’t be allowed to grow up, or ask questions.

11. Elizabeth
    June 18, 2007 at 9:50 pm (10 years ago)

I agree with moosh! Thank goodness my daughter is only 19 months old so I have years before the TALK, but I did have to explain periods to my SEVEN and NINE year old SONS, which was surprisingly not as uncomfortable as I thought it would be.

12. Melanie
    June 18, 2007 at 10:34 pm (10 years ago)

I’m glad you found the book. I think it will be helpful for both of you! Did you ever get your drink? You sure sounded like you needed it this morning!

13. Cate
    June 19, 2007 at 12:46 pm (10 years ago)

Wow…I wasn’t expecting to read that! I’m not looking forward to that stage. Fortunately, since we have two boys daddy is gonna be taking the lead on that talk! Woohoo!

Hope the drink was a stiff one!

14. Kara
    June 19, 2007 at 1:57 pm (10 years ago)

So happy I have boys right now. Although my mom’s talk with me was giving me two books and twenty dollars to take to the drugstore…so I’m sure your talk was much more informative.

15. Stefanie
    June 19, 2007 at 7:53 pm (10 years ago)

My daughter’s two but with all the hormones in the chicken and meat I have a feeling that talk will come up all too soon.