Does anyone else have a spouse that plays this game?

I was talking to Amanda a little while ago and she tells me how her husband didn’t want an Ipod until after she got one, and now he wants a bigger one, likely because she wants a bigger one. We started discussing how often this happens, and how husbands just cannot stand to be outdone.

I am officially naming it the ‘Bigger Penis Theory’. It’s like the pissing contests men have with each other, only played in their own home. We play it here too, my cell phone comes to mind. I wanted to upgrade my cell phone to a PDA phone. After deciding we’d do it, the ex decides he needs a PDA phone too. Only it can’t be the same phone I get. Oh no. He *needs* these other, better, features that the phone I am getting doesn’t have. So he proceeds to get a phone over twice the price of mine, with a lot more bells and whistles. Same thing happened with my Ipod- I got one, then he decided he wanted one, but bigger. Then he upgraded to the picture one, but then gave that one to me so he could get the one that plays videos. We even went through this with our cars! Granted my van is newer and more expensive than his, but I wanted the same color van as his car was, and no, that wouldn’t do. He steered me away from the gold to the blue, because gosh forbid they be the same, even though he knew I liked the gold better.

So what about you? Does the Bigger Penis Theory ever rear it’s ugly head(pun intended) in your home?

12 Comments on My Pee-Pee is Bigger Than Your Pee-Pee!

1. Jennie
    June 14, 2007 at 12:58 pm (10 years ago)

Oh yeah…. I try not to buy something or do something very similar to DH because I just don’t like the game. Plus, it can get expensive!!!

June 14, 2007 at 1:02 pm (10 years ago)

Screw tech toys, I only wish my husband would fight over who wore the bigger pants around here because I like get tired of wearing them all of the time.

I get a new pair of lee jeans and wear them around the house. So he gets a new pair of Levi’s, bigger and better brand, wears those around the house.

I stumped him when I started buying skirts instead.

3. Shelly
    June 14, 2007 at 1:04 pm (10 years ago)

Amen honey! I have complained about this before, but mine does it primarily with illness. If I have a headache, he also has one but his is blinding. If I complained of a yeast infection, I’m sure he’d tell me he had ball rot or something! Drives me crazy, so I try not to say much anymore. My being pregnant probably nearly killed him because there was NO WAY he could compete with that. HA!

4. Redneck Mommy
    June 14, 2007 at 2:15 pm (10 years ago)

I don’t have this problem at my house.

Thank goodness, cuz I would kill him if he did.

How do you keep from hurting him?

5. Iris
    June 14, 2007 at 3:17 pm (10 years ago)

I believe this is a universal phenomenon. All ages, races, creeds of penises have this envy of each other. I believe this is the true meaning of Penis Envy….

But really, isn’t this what actually fuels our economy?????

6. kerry
    June 14, 2007 at 7:53 pm (10 years ago)

Our big penis issue comes in the form of getting the last word in… sort of the same thing isn’t it? He must alwasy get the last word in – even if it’s just a grunt.

7. Cate
    June 14, 2007 at 8:13 pm (10 years ago)

I don’t have that EXACT thing going on here…but if one of us makes a large purchase….new cell phone, iPod, whatever….the other will make a large purchase of roughly the same value for him/herself….oddly childish, don’t ya think?

8. Steph
    June 15, 2007 at 9:56 am (10 years ago)

We just went through this very thing w/ Cell phones. I had mine all picked out, knew just what I wanted. Guess what phone he got? MINE! The jerk! lol

9. Dana
    June 15, 2007 at 12:36 pm (10 years ago)

We went through this with laptops just a couple of weeks ago. I got a nice laptop for Christmas but he kinda took it over. He finally decided to go buy one for himself, but didn’t need one as fancy as mine. What did he come home with? One much better than mine. His plan backfired on him, though, since I stole it from him as soon as I got home from having my surgery!

10. Sarah (In the Trenches of Mommyhood)
    June 16, 2007 at 6:41 pm (10 years ago)

Totally! I needed a new cell phone when mine went missing (later to be found under the passenger seat of the car) and Hubby went with me. Wouldn’t you know it was a 2-fer-1 deal going on–I get a cheapo and Hubby conveniently upgrades to the newest Razr phone!
    And he always has to have the BIGGEST and BEST television. “Let me show you my new TV and how BIGGGG it is….” We now have 5 (yes, FIVE) in our house.

11. Steve
    June 18, 2007 at 4:12 am (10 years ago)

I’m thinking my wife has the big electronic peepee in our house… and she uses it, feels guilty, then I get to compensate without argument. Every time she upgrades her computer, I get to upgrade my camera.