Funny how the day goes from great to shit in a single phone call.

My lack of attention paired with my inability to psychic-ly predict my husband’s check card purchases has put our checking account in a state of overdraft. Deep overdraft.

Fuck. I’m going to go throw up now.

17 Comments on Oh Dear God..I Feel Sick

1. Jamie
    May 8, 2007 at 1:34 pm (10 years ago)

OM we are like almost living parallel lives at times, how very weird.

2. Swistle
    May 8, 2007 at 1:56 pm (10 years ago)

Ug, that makes me feel so sick when that happens. One thing I’ve found is that if you write ass-kissing letters, you can get some of the fees waived. If you hardly ever bounce checks, for example, and you write to the bank and remind them of this in an and-we’re-so-very-sorry way, and you ask if they would waive the fees, sometimes they will do so. And if you write to the businesses (who often each charge their own fee for a bounced check), sometimes they will waive them, too—although far less often, since the amount they charge is usually because the bank charges THEM for presenting a check that bounced, and they want that money back. I usually kiss up just to the bank (since their fees are totally because they want to, not to recoop losses) and pay up to the stores.

3. Swistle
    May 8, 2007 at 1:57 pm (10 years ago)

Oh, and then I KILL MY STUPID HUSBAND. And roast his remains over a SLOW FIRE.

4. Annie
    May 8, 2007 at 2:27 pm (10 years ago)

This is why I seriously consider confiscating my husband’s debit card. Being blissfully oblivious to the finances does not mean the account is a bottomless pit.

Sorry this happened – hope it gets better soon 🙁

5. Karly
    May 8, 2007 at 2:29 pm (10 years ago)

Ha! Same thing happened to me this morning. Husband called and said he tried using debit card for 10 bucks and it was declined. I HATE when that happens. Especially considering that the money was in savings and the bank is SUPPOSED to transfer it over for us when that happens and they DIDN’T so hubby was all pissy with me.

6. Karen
    May 8, 2007 at 2:43 pm (10 years ago)

Ugh, that’s awful. Our bad phone call of the day was from our mechanic. The news was ugly.

7. Nell
    May 8, 2007 at 2:58 pm (10 years ago)

Oh, I hate, hate, hate that bitter stomach feeling. I have it far too often and haven’t found a good way to get rid of it yet. I’ll let you know when I do. Why are financial blunders (overdraft, overspend, you name it) attached to the pit of one’s stomach like that in such a visceral way? It seems wrong.

8. Toni
    May 8, 2007 at 3:09 pm (10 years ago)

Ugh! We have done that twice. He’s on an allowance now. I am the money bitch in the K house. Good luck!

9. Dana
    May 8, 2007 at 3:14 pm (10 years ago)

My husband used to do the same thing and still would if he had access to his check card. Luckily our bank did not return anything, they just paid it hit us with the fee.

10. Cakehead
    May 8, 2007 at 4:02 pm (10 years ago)

Three words.

Separate. Checking. Accounts.

You know all too well that I am not the embodiment of marital success, but at least this is ONE thing we don’t fight about. I am great at getting my account within pennies of $0, but he never knows and I like it that way 🙂

I hope you can get this straightened out soon. That sinking feeling is just awful.

11. MamaLee
    May 8, 2007 at 5:52 pm (10 years ago)

That SUCKS. I’ve been there a few times, I must say. And I do hate that sinking, impending DOOM feeling. Tomorrow WILL be a better day. Promise.

May 8, 2007 at 8:26 pm (10 years ago)

Now, that is why I have internet banking, and why I update it every fricken day.

13. kim
    May 8, 2007 at 8:37 pm (10 years ago)

I have two words for you:
    ONLINE BANKING.

May 9, 2007 at 6:33 am (10 years ago)

Oh no. He didn’t! Holy cow….I will brainstorm with you on ways to get revenge on him!

15. kerry
    May 9, 2007 at 8:13 am (10 years ago)

Ugh – the fees! Your bank should refund at least part of these fees. I think we have all been there! I also know my neighbor has been there – her mail was delivered to us one day by mistake and I couldn’t help but notice she had 3 of those distinct little white, square self mailers. Still sucks though – even knowing you’re not alone!

16. Mitch McDad
    May 9, 2007 at 9:03 am (10 years ago)

Guilty. But those ATM fees at the dog track can really add up.

17. Tina
    May 10, 2007 at 1:21 pm (10 years ago)

That sucks. Sorry!