(said in my best soup nazi voice)

If someone wants to seriously torture me, taking away my internet is the way to do it. Our cable went down yesterday morning, and when we went to bed last night it still wasn’t back up. We were supposed to have AT&T come out and set up DSL today, so other than some minor annoyance, I wasn’t too worried with it. Why call Mediacom when we were having it shut off today anyways, right?

I was told on Friday AT&T would be sending someone out between 8 and 11am this morning. Why such a broad range? Damned if I know. Personally I think they just like having people sit in their homes pacing by the door so that when they do finally show up at 10:59am, you are so wracked with internet withdrawals you don’t care how late they are. I was not terribly surprised when I called and had them tell me no, it wasn’t between 8-11, it was 8-12, I must have been told wrong. I was even less surprised when at 12:45 there was still no word. These people are notorious for saying one time and showing up 3 hours later, if at all. What did surprise me was the information I was given when I finally called and was transferred to the DSL installation department, which apparently now resides in India. I believe his exact words were
“In order to inform you we have had an error of the highest level and will have you to call and responsibly reschedule Friday for our earliest convenience on Saturday or Monday.”

Oh dear god, the translators are drinking again.

Once I puzzled out that there was a technical issue and I’d have to call Friday to reschedule for Saturday, we were ok. I pulled out the cable modem and figured out how to hook it back up, and as luck would have it the internet was back up. *whew*

I feel like an addict getting a fix, and I’m wondering if we couldn’t just hook a line straight into my arm?

20 Comments on No Internet For You, Two Days!

1. problem girl
    May 29, 2007 at 4:06 pm (10 years ago)

I think you just pretended not to have internet access so that you wouldn’t have to answer your own sex question.

2. problem girl
    May 29, 2007 at 4:07 pm (10 years ago)

Oh. I just realized that you did answer it. D’oh!

3. moodswingingmommy
    May 29, 2007 at 4:20 pm (10 years ago)

I hate when that happens! LOL…I must have been talking to the same customer service rep as you when I called Verizon last week.

4. Melanie
    May 29, 2007 at 4:40 pm (10 years ago)

ROFL! Sorry to laugh at your internet pain… Been there… done that!

5. lady macleod
    May 29, 2007 at 7:27 pm (10 years ago)

It is sooooo true! I am the same, as is Q.

6. Tina
    May 29, 2007 at 8:13 pm (10 years ago)

You always make me laugh.

The internet is our OUTLET lol. We need it – especially SAHM’s

7. Cakehead
    May 29, 2007 at 8:32 pm (10 years ago)

I feel your pain, but find I’m a bit more productive when my outlet is taken from me!

8. Cate
    May 29, 2007 at 8:36 pm (10 years ago)

I don’t know how you made it that long without internet….I don’t think I could do it! The last internet outage I had was for 12 hours, and I almost needed to be committed!

9. O Mama Mia
    May 29, 2007 at 9:26 pm (10 years ago)

Tap that vein, girl!!

10. Shannon - PHAT Mommy
    May 29, 2007 at 9:37 pm (10 years ago)

You said it girl! I’m thinking some kinda Spy Kids-like gadget that attaches to our wrists so we can surf/blog/email/im ALL THE TIME.

11. One Tough Momma
    May 30, 2007 at 5:39 am (10 years ago)

I know how you feel, but my family likes it when my internet is down. That’s the only time that they have clean clothes to wear.

12. Sensible One
    May 30, 2007 at 6:37 am (10 years ago)

One of the first things I look for when shopping for a vacation destination is whether or not they have WiFi. No pool? I don’t care. Just make sure I have web access…

13. Beckie
    May 30, 2007 at 6:44 am (10 years ago)

I think internet withdrawals are torture! I’ve recently wondered how on earth I survived growing up with only minimal internet access (old fashioned, 2400 bps dialup)

May 30, 2007 at 7:09 am (10 years ago)

Customer service just rocks in this day and age.

15. amanda
    May 30, 2007 at 8:11 am (10 years ago)

When our computer was messing up, I called dell and got the same friggin thing.. I think at one point i was laying in the floor of the office, frustrated to tears, screaming into the phone that someone needed english as a 2nd language classes, in addition to every curse word i know, and some i made up on the spot!

16. Summer
    May 30, 2007 at 9:23 pm (10 years ago)

Oh gods, life without the internet. I don’t think I could make it one day.

17. N
    May 31, 2007 at 8:51 am (10 years ago)

I know that pain… Our DSL went down at work for about a week. I ended up having to bring my laptop to work and cruise around during lunch and “borrow” wireless connections from local coffee shops and the public library just to get my fix.

18. Amanda
    May 31, 2007 at 8:09 pm (10 years ago)

That whole experience is so universal. You have to wonder…why don’t the phone, cable, repair companies do something about their crappy customer service???

19. Alicia
    December 21, 2008 at 6:58 pm (9 years ago)

I completely understand ya girl! I have Cox cable for tv, internet and phone… when it goes down, we lose everything! They are notorious for horrible service, and customers losing cable for several days in a row… although their repair men are awfully cute! lol (shame on me, I’m too old to say something like that! lol) I earn my money online, so when it goes down for me, that’s a really, really bad situation… I could potentially lose a few hundred dollars if it’s down on a day when I have lots going on.

Fortunately, since i moved to Norman (home of Oklahoma University), it has been much better… guess since they don’t wanna lose all their college students’ daddy’s money! I moved a couple weeks ago, just across town, and was soooo dreading hearing that it would be ten days or so before they could get out, but to my surprise, and excitement, they had it on the day I moved!

I’ll admit though, not only do I work online, it is my source of entertainment, and I honestly feel lonely, not having it! I really think the addiction factor is there for many of us… that’s why they’re able to charge us out the butt for it! lol