I was afraid to jinx it by blogging about it, but we had a MUCH better day yesterday. Nothing broken, no one beating the snot out of each other, no yelling. Ok, a tiny bit of yelling, but not even enough to count. Just a great, great day.

Why does it always happen that way? Tuesday night I sat in this very chair at 1am crying my eyes out thinking I was the most horrible parent ever, and how on earth could I manage another 16 years of this?? Then I have a fantastic day where it goes 90% right, and I felt like a million bucks.

Bi-polar? As much as I felt like it, no. It’s just the way of being a mommy. It’s amazing how everything we do, everything we ARE is tied up in our children. With a look, a smile, a weed picked in the yard and given with the enthusiasm that makes you cherish it above rubies they can lift us up and put us on top of the world. Then just as that pedestal starts to get comfortable, they knock us down with equal vigor, making us doubt ourselves to the core of our being. To call motherhood a roller coaster is like calling childbirth a little painful. You just cannot know the depths of it until you are there.

The trip can drive you crazy, but if you can survive it, it is so worth the drive.

8 Comments on I’m Not Bi-Polar, I Just Have Children, Thanks.

1. Nell
    May 24, 2007 at 7:48 am (10 years ago)

So glad you guys had a good day, and yeah, the back and forth can be painful, but it’s definitely worth it.

2. pinks & blues girls
    May 24, 2007 at 11:28 am (10 years ago)

Glad today was better!

It must be nice, though, to know that there are millions of women out there who know EXACTLY how you feel!

Hugs.

Jane, Pinks & Blues Girls

3. Cate
    May 24, 2007 at 11:33 am (10 years ago)

Glad you had some calm AFTER the storm! Ya…my mommy rollercoaster is starting to get real bumpy and twisty-turny…fun fun fun! But like you said (and like I keep telling myself and hubby), at the end of the day when we get our good night hugs and kisses, and little tickle giggles when we put them to bed…it’s so worth it! And if not…think forward to how much fun grandchildren will be…when they start acting up, just hand ’em back!

4. Rhonda
    May 24, 2007 at 11:43 am (10 years ago)

Ahh I’m glad you are feeling better and had a better Mom day. Sorry I never responded yesterday. I’ve been having bad work days and thinking maybe being a SAHM wouldn’t be so bad. lol Then I wake up from that dream and remember my kids are homeschooled and there 24/7.

Hang in there.

5. lady macleod
    May 25, 2007 at 9:06 am (10 years ago)

I am in agreement, it is worth it. It’s a fun ride.

6. N
    May 25, 2007 at 10:30 am (10 years ago)

Sara, you have an amazing way with words! I’m going to frame that description of motherhood and give them to my wife!

Have a great weekend! 😉