The word ‘mommyblogger’ is such a funny thing. To a lot of the outside world, it brings to mind images of women putting up silly little posts describing the most mundane details of their lives. Even a lot of mombloggers do not like the word, feeling that it places a label on them that can’t possibly describe the scope of their abilities.

Personally, I like the term. Elizabeth Stone once said that to have a child “is to decide forever to have your heart walking around outside your body”. As mothers we have the unique ability to view the world through another’s eyes. And as bloggers, we have the power of words to paint intimate portraits of those moments, and share them with the world.

Every so often someone comes along and paints that picture so clearly and so perfectly, you feel like you are right there, seeing the moment and feeling the emotions yourself. It is one of the most powerful experiences there is, and an amazing accomplishment on the part of the writer. For exactly this reason, I am awarding a Perfect Post Award to The Queen of Shake-Shake for her ability to put her finger on the very pulse of motherhood with “Excuse Me, I Do That Too“. Congratulations on a post well-written.

The Original Perfect Post Awards – April 2007

The Perfect Post Awards are hosted monthly by MommaK at Petroville and Lindsay at Suburban Turmoil. Much thanks to them for their hard work in coordinating this. If you would like to be a presenter, head on over and drop them an email. Also be sure to go over and read the other Perfect Posts awarded this month!

11 Comments on A Perfect Post for April.

1. Megan (Velveteen Mind)
    May 1, 2007 at 10:33 am (10 years ago)

I highlighted this same post by The Queen of Shake-Shake recently. The photo at the end just sent me over the edge in love with her. Well deserved.

May 1, 2007 at 10:43 am (10 years ago)

Holy cow…thanks Sara! I’m really flattered!

3. Swistle
    May 1, 2007 at 11:03 am (10 years ago)

I still don’t like the term “mommyblogger,” because I think it’s meant dismissively, like “chick lit.” Being a mother IS a valuable perspective, but I like to think I’m also still writing from other perspectives, and about other topics than my mommyness.

4. Dana
    May 1, 2007 at 11:33 am (10 years ago)

Heather definately deserves that Perfect Post for that one and several others!

5. Cate
    May 1, 2007 at 12:50 pm (10 years ago)

You definately chose well for this award. When I read that post, it really hit home…that type of situation has cropped up in my life a couple of times. Congrats to Heather!

I don’t have any problem with the term mommyblogger. I think being a mom is such an important job, that we should be set apart from other bloggers! I mean, I think mom’s have the best blog-material out there! 😉

6. Shauna
    May 1, 2007 at 3:17 pm (10 years ago)

Good pick, Sara! Heather definitely deserves it!

7. Toni
    May 1, 2007 at 3:56 pm (10 years ago)

Well done! I remember that post too!

8. Cakehead
    May 1, 2007 at 7:16 pm (10 years ago)

That post has stuck out more than any other, it was so beautiful. Great choice. 🙂

9. pinks & blues girls
    May 1, 2007 at 7:18 pm (10 years ago)

You nominated a great post!! I agree – what MommaK and Lindsay have done with the Perfect Post award is so fantastic!

By the way, I love being a Mommy blogger, too! 🙂

– Audrey, Pinks & Blues Girls

10. Csara
    May 1, 2007 at 8:02 pm (10 years ago)

That was an awesome post you chose. I’m so glad you posted a link or I would have never seen it!

May 1, 2007 at 9:08 pm (10 years ago)

Good job Sara, I guess great minds think alike. Heather was definitely deserving on this post!