It’s awards season here in Blogland. Every time we turn around someone has gotten nominated for some cool award or another- Top 100 Mom Blogs, the [tag]Bloggers Choice[/tag] Awards, the Best of Blogs [tag]awards[/tag], they are everywhere.

It’s understandable there are bloggers out there who might feel a little left out. (Kudos to [tag]TableforFive[/tag] for having the cajones to blog about it!) Who can blame them? I think when we sit home with our popcorn watching the Emmys, Oscars, Golden Globes, or whatever, we all dream of being up there accepting that award. Doesn’t matter that we are not actresses, it doesn’t matter that we are not 5’9 and size 0, it doesn’t matter that we don’t have the $10k to shell out on a vintage Valentino, not to mention the lipo and boob job we’d need to hold such a thing up. We want to be there anyways. To feel special, to feel glamorous, to feel important.

Like on tv, it’s easy to sit back and say “I wish I was up there” come time for these blog awards. What we have to remember though is that those who are nominated and won are those who have worked for it. They have put their time in, written award-worthy posts time and time again, and most importantly, at some point they have been in our shoes. They didn’t start out popular, they started out as much of nobodies as the rest of us. Just like [tag]Julia Roberts[/tag] wasn’t born with a [tag]Golden Globe[/tag] on the table beside her crib, great bloggers are made by hard work and lots and lots of practice.

It may take months, it may take years. But with enough talent and hard work, I think any blogger can get there, as long as they can find their voice and their audience.

In the meantime I’ll gladly offer up my couch for anyone who wants to come and watch the awards with me. We can wear sweats, eat popcorn and gossip about what the ladies are probably wearing as they accept their awards, all while dreaming that next year we will be up there too.

I wonder if Valentino makes dresses in an 8?

18 Comments on It’s Like the Golden Globes, Without the Cool Swag Bags

1. shaz
    April 10, 2007 at 10:11 am (11 years ago)

I’ll share the couch! 🙂

2. Elizabeth
    April 10, 2007 at 10:25 am (11 years ago)

Thank you for the link, and for praising my post! I feel a little better now that one of my readers nominated me for a Blogger’s Choice Award 🙂

3. Megan
    April 10, 2007 at 10:27 am (11 years ago)

Honey, you deserve some retroactive awards. Your modesty keeps you from alluding to all of your accolades of late, even if the attention is a bit too late for this current “award season.” Your time is coming.

4. Swistle
    April 10, 2007 at 10:28 am (11 years ago)

Wait–no goody bags? Pff. Who cares, then?

5. Sara
    April 10, 2007 at 10:30 am (11 years ago)

LOL! I’m not modest, I’m an attention whore and I admit it. Aren’t all bloggers deep down?

April 10, 2007 at 11:35 am (11 years ago)

Well, I only want to gossip about what type of girdle contraption the women MUST have on under their gowns in order to be so skinny. At least the ones who have had babies. Because you know they do! At least I hope they do. It would make me feel sooo much better about myself if they did. What if they don’t? What if it IS possible to look that damn good after having kids and what it really means is that I’m a lazy, floppy, saggy mom who just won’t do what it takes to look that good.

Uh oh, now I need another type of couch.

April 10, 2007 at 12:05 pm (11 years ago)

Well stated!

Are you sure you need an 8? I’d have guessed a 2!

8. Toni
    April 10, 2007 at 12:33 pm (11 years ago)

Hum! You’ve accepted it pretty well, eh?? I’m ok with it. I blog for ME. I just have to tell myself that 100 times a day! 🙂

9. Sarah (In the Trenches of Mommyhood)
    April 10, 2007 at 2:15 pm (11 years ago)

Loved your post on TopBlogMag, by the way!

I left a comment on Table4Five that I sometimes feel like I’m sitting at the dork table in the high school cafeteria instead of with the “Cool Kids”, because I can’t seem to keep up in Blogland with what’s happening and who’s awarding who, etc. Oh well.

10. Jeane
    April 10, 2007 at 2:58 pm (11 years ago)

Awards. Hmph. I read Healthbolt’s post about nearing a million visitors. The lowest daily unique visitors was 23–on the first day. That would be just about my best day. Depressing. I guess I’ll either figure it out before too long or get tired and quit.

11. Jeane
    April 10, 2007 at 5:30 pm (11 years ago)

Sorry about that whiney post above. I am approaching half way to my goal of losing 100 pounds by the time I’m 50, so my brain goes on standby mid-afternoon. Plus, both grandmothers are arriving next week for my son’s senior art show, so I’ve scheduled only 3 1/2 hours sleep until then to attempt to get the house ready for competing white glove inspections. My blog is a niche blog and I’m just beginning. I will figure it out! (See, I’m much better after a big salad.)

12. Belle
    April 10, 2007 at 7:28 pm (11 years ago)

Very well-written. (I went by to see Table for Five, too, and made a lot of the points in a comment to her that I’m making here in yours)

I am not so sure about that. I have been blogging for over five years and still rarely get over 40 page visitors per day to my blog. However…..I’m pretty okay with it. Smaller numbers means better chance of interaction and getting to know people. Plus…..I’m kind of a weirdo anyway, and would probably worry if the masses ever took enough of a liking to me to drive my visitor stats way up and started nominating me for blog awards. In fact, I’d be certain hell was freezing over 🙂

13. Sara
    April 10, 2007 at 9:38 pm (11 years ago)

Omg, you really ARE bananas!!

I appreciate the thought, really I do. Please don’t be offended if I don’t put up the button and all that though, its sweet to be nominated, but I am so not ready for all that.

Would it be ok if I just sat back and enjoyed it? 🙂

14. AbsolutelyBananas
    April 10, 2007 at 9:45 pm (11 years ago)

LOL… I am not easily offended. Many try, but few succeed. But your blog is one of my faves, and one of FEW to last my hard-core daily cutting out of the RSS list, so maybe you don’t give yourself enough credit?

15. Sara
    April 10, 2007 at 10:01 pm (11 years ago)

You are making me blush, seriously.

I’m still having that awards night couch party, so do you prefer regular or movie theater butter on your popcorn? 😉

16. moodswingingmommy
    April 11, 2007 at 6:02 pm (11 years ago)

Ooh, movie theater butter please! And what time would you like us?

17. Angela
    April 11, 2007 at 10:09 pm (11 years ago)

What a great post and I’m sure this has been on MANY peoples minds even if they are not willing to admit it! I know it has crossed mine a few times. Thanks for the encouragement to myself and others!