So I’m curious if it is just a normal thing to become a comment whore as you get more into your blogging? I used to not think much of it, but the more people that are reading, the more excited I get when I hear my Outlook beep and I have a notification of a new blog comment. If I don’t get many, I feel like I didn’t do a very good job of my post that day, and vow to make the next one better.

So is this normal? Do you get that little shiver too? Or do you just write for you, and the blogworld be damned?

I think I’ve just found my poll for this week! 😀

42 Comments on Here a Whore, There a Whore, Everywhere a Comment Whore

1. Jane
    April 20, 2007 at 2:33 pm (10 years ago)

I try to pretend it doesn’t matter, but my comments have been really low for the past couple of weeks and it’s starting to sting a bit!

2. Robyn
    April 20, 2007 at 2:36 pm (10 years ago)

Oh it matters! (Hang head in shame) I am definitely a comment whore.

3. N
    April 20, 2007 at 2:37 pm (10 years ago)

Oh, are you kidding? Comments are validation on thoughts and words… But here is the bad part (spoken from experience): IF you’re not careful, you start living for the comments, and then start writing based on that cyber-audience and then find yourself trapped by the imaginary expectations of dozens of invisible critics.

I love and enjoy comments, but I also write completely for myself. Two completely separate blogs for that.

4. Sara
    April 20, 2007 at 2:40 pm (10 years ago)

You know N, thats really interesting to me. Megan over at Velveteen Mind told me she blogs just for herself as well, but for me, this IS mine. My thoughts, my experiences..but I invite everyone in, I don’t feel like I go out to them, unless it’s a topic like this where I want the input. Does that make sense?

5. Stella
    April 20, 2007 at 2:42 pm (10 years ago)

I blog for me. But when I post on Maya’s Mom and no one answers my feeling are bruised. Especially if I see theat a bunch of people “viewed” the entry and did not leave any comments!!!

6. Stella
    April 20, 2007 at 2:43 pm (10 years ago)

Totally typed the wrong web address. This one is right. Talk about pregnancy brain!

7. Annie
    April 20, 2007 at 2:46 pm (10 years ago)

Before I started this blogging adventure, I said ‘I’ll do it for myself, to chronicle self-improvement, use my brain, stop using sloppy grammar and punctuation blah blah blah… and if someone reads it, that’s a bonus’. That is still my core approach … BUT, I did get a bunch of comments on my first posts and here I am – a comment whore, just like you 🙂

8. problem girl
    April 20, 2007 at 2:59 pm (10 years ago)

I don’t know if I care so much about how many comments I get (although I do love them!) but I am obsessed with my site stats. Well, not obsessed but I probably care more about them than I should.

9. problem girl
    April 20, 2007 at 3:00 pm (10 years ago)

You know what? That’s not really honest. I guess I do care about comments a lot. I’ve checked about 20 times today to see how many people have wished me happy birthday.

10. Melanie
    April 20, 2007 at 3:06 pm (10 years ago)

I love to get comments and I check about a million times a day to see if I have any new ones! A lot of the people who read my blog don’t leave me comments though. So, I guess my site stats are more important- at least I know people are looking.

11. Shauna
    April 20, 2007 at 4:11 pm (10 years ago)

Hi. My name is Shauna. And I’m a comment whore.

12. Toni
    April 20, 2007 at 4:16 pm (10 years ago)

Beep…

I’ll say it- you are a comment whore!

You have something that beeps to let you know? I thought e-mail notification was bad. Apparently I have room to grow!

13. N
    April 20, 2007 at 4:58 pm (10 years ago)

Sara – It makes perfect sense! I absolutely enjoy reading blogs where the writing is genuine and the author really doesn’t hold back… blogs like yours.

I arrived at a point where I cared more about what the readers thought of me, and when the stat-counter said they were reading, and they weren’t commenting, it was like a Pavlovian response, and I started writing more of the “comment rich” stuff. It’s a hard mold to break out of sometimes, but I try…

Keep being yourself… your writing is a joy to read!

14. Annika
    April 20, 2007 at 5:51 pm (10 years ago)

Oh, yes. Absolutely. It drives me nuts that I have so few comments compared to the number of visitors. Nuts, I tell you!

15. Swistle
    April 20, 2007 at 6:16 pm (10 years ago)

I like comments. It’s like when I send out email to my friends, and get a lot of emails back. ….Does that sound a little pitiful? I think maybe it does.

16. Sarah (In the Trenches of Mommyhood)
    April 20, 2007 at 7:07 pm (10 years ago)

I’m trying to keep a balance between whoring myself and writing what’s true to me. The whore part is tipping the scales though.

17. Busy Mom
    April 20, 2007 at 7:13 pm (10 years ago)

How could I not leave a comment on this?

18. Southern Fried Mom
    April 20, 2007 at 8:37 pm (10 years ago)

Hi-ho, Hi-ho…it’s off to comment I go!!! I’m a comment whore, too…I am especially excited when one of my blog-heroes or someone who has a huge audience leaves me a comment. I can’t believe they’re reading MY blog…even though it is oh, so funny and thought-provoking, and well written…go ahead, check it out–and don’t forget to leave COMMENTS!!!

hee hee

I love getting e-mail, too…

April 20, 2007 at 8:55 pm (10 years ago)

It’s fun to get comments and I’m a complete whore! Partly I like the comments because it is validation for what I’ve written. However, I also like to get comments as a way to get feedback and it’s a form in interaction.

And like Southern Fried Mom said, getting a comment from one of my blogging heroes is as exciting as Christmas morning.

I need to get a life.

20. Natalie
    April 20, 2007 at 9:25 pm (10 years ago)

If I got very many comments, I’d be a comment whore; but I don’t, so I’ll stay blissfully happy checking my gmail every now and again and being pleasantly surprised that Sara wrote me something nice about my cake 🙂

21. Tiffany
    April 20, 2007 at 9:31 pm (10 years ago)

I’m A WHORE! Unfortunly I’m not a very good writer so I don’t get many. Nobudy loves me 🙁

22. Tulipmom
    April 20, 2007 at 9:39 pm (10 years ago)

Love the comments. Addicted to the comments. Check for more obsessively. Yup, I’m a whore too.

23. Cindy
    April 20, 2007 at 10:00 pm (10 years ago)

I do love comments a LOT, but I also try to keep foremost in my mind that I blog for ME. If someone else connects with what I write, and is moved to comment…AWESOME!

But yes, I love them, and get a little (ok big) thrill when someone comments.

24. Jamie
    April 20, 2007 at 10:33 pm (10 years ago)

Oh I love comments. I’m a WHORE! 🙂

25. Jamie
    April 20, 2007 at 10:34 pm (10 years ago)

ok…I just read your poll…that’s hilarious! 😉

I don’t know if they’re orgasmic, but I do love it when I get comments.

26. Angie @ Many Little Blessings
    April 20, 2007 at 10:47 pm (10 years ago)

I started my blog just to write for me. And, I still write for myself, but I have noticed that I do sometimes write in a way that I am acknowledging that other people are reading it. And, so darn it — I do enjoy getting comments. But, I don’t get broken up if I don’t have any on a posting, but if I have a couple without any, then it does make me wonder. LOL

27. Csara
    April 20, 2007 at 11:21 pm (10 years ago)

damn, you got a lot of comments on this post! :p
    I am going to try and go through all the blogs and leave a comment for everyone. The problem with my blog is that you have to register on my forums to post so I never get comments from other bloggers, only from my regular message board members, which of course is still cool, but I want comments from other bloggers!!!

28. karrie
    April 21, 2007 at 5:31 am (10 years ago)

My comment field often turns into a discussion area between regular readers. (Chat amongst yourselves!) Sooo….many of the comments do not really have much to do with the original post that started the discussion.

I still like receiving comments though. 🙂

April 21, 2007 at 6:08 am (10 years ago)

comment whore here!

30. Nell
    April 21, 2007 at 6:54 am (10 years ago)

I only started blogging a couple of months ago, and comments are rare, but every one I get makes me a little giddy.

31. Cate
    April 21, 2007 at 9:07 am (10 years ago)

Even though I don’t have many people reading my blog yet, I have to admit…I check throughout the day to see if anyone has commented!

32. Wendy
    April 21, 2007 at 1:58 pm (10 years ago)

Yeah, I’m a comment whore too – I mean, I write what I want to write BUT comments make it more of a discussion – like a conversation instead of one insane person’s ranting 😉 So yeah, I like me some comments..

33. colleen
    April 21, 2007 at 2:30 pm (10 years ago)

I just started blogging last month… and I am addicted to the comments. It was so so so exciting to get my very first comment… and to know someone out there was reading what I wrote. You would think that initial “yippee!!!” feeling would go away a little with each comment… but nope… every single comment gives me the same excitement. I already just love getting a couple comments on a post… I can’t even imagine how it is to get 20 or 30.

34. moodswingingmommy
    April 21, 2007 at 3:25 pm (10 years ago)

Well, I saw the title of your post and thought you were talking about me. Enough said!

BTW, 34 comments?! You’re the queen!

35. moodswingingmommy
    April 21, 2007 at 3:25 pm (10 years ago)

Oops, I meant 35…no make that 36. Anything involving numbers is not a strength for me.

36. Nan @ Life is Like a Lunchbox
    April 21, 2007 at 4:29 pm (10 years ago)

Oh, I LOVE comments. But I blogged for quite a while with very little in the way of comments. So, I blogged “for me” for a long time. I still blog for me. But now that I know my audience is (slightly) larger I am a bit more conversational than I used to be. Still, I vary my posts so much that I’ve come to know which posts will get responses and which ones won’t. And I’m fine when I post something that doesn’t make people respond but rather, just think. Or laugh. Or run to the bathroom and vomit.

37. Shannon - PHAT Mommy
    April 22, 2007 at 8:54 pm (10 years ago)

I started blogging thinking it would be a way to “archive” the day-to-day experiences of my family. But I quickly realized that for me it’s all about sharing. I blog when I need advice, validation, or maybe a good shake of the shoulders. I blog to share news that I think others might like to read. I blog to share my opinion and to hear other points of view. I’m finding that it’s making me stronger in my convictions because I have to write out my thoughts and defend them. So, yes, I blog for the comments and community.

38. DSB
    April 22, 2007 at 10:58 pm (10 years ago)

I think it’s totally normal…..though I wish it didn’t matter to me. I don’t really get a whole lot compared to some. Sometimes that bothers me, and sometimes it doesn’t.

39. Erin
    April 22, 2007 at 11:26 pm (10 years ago)

Wish I wasn’t, but I am!

40. Caz
    April 23, 2007 at 6:06 am (10 years ago)

Face it mate. You’ll happily fill in tha blank to become and *anything* whore 😉 Best way too! 😉 /lick

41. Race Mom
    April 23, 2007 at 9:22 am (10 years ago)

It’s like the kid that never gets picked on game day when I don’t get comments.