I have a confession to make. Are you ready?

My husband doesn’t know about my blog.

Shocking? Kinda. It’s such a huge part of my daily thought process(“Oh no she didn’t, this is SO going in my blog tonight!!”) that to keep it from him is like hiding a third limb or another child or something. Technically he knows I have one, but he doesn’t understand exactly what a blog is, or that I share as much as I do about our lives. He doesn’t have the address, and as far as I know has never even seen the page.

It’s not that I purposely hide it from him exactly. I just don’t go out of my way to point it out to him. I’m just seeing too many cases lately of husbands getting upset about them, be it the personal information shared, that you are writing about them, or all of the above. Marriage is a rollercoaster ride by itself, why add to the stress? Not to mention I just don’t want to have to be looking over my shoulder all the time, wondering if he is going to take something the wrong way, or should I maybe not share that, or is it ok to discuss my in-laws?? My blog is my own version of therapy, minus the couch and box of tissues. It’s how I vent my rants, share my joys, and stop myself from putting the kids up on Ebay.

I’m sure one day he will figure it out, but for now I like having my own little corner of the world that is *just* mine. Besides, the voices in my head are nice to me here.

So what about you? Does hubby read your blog, or do you keep it a dirty secret?Β

47 Comments on Blogs? No Dear, Never Heard of Them.

1. Redneck Mommy
    April 3, 2007 at 7:19 pm (10 years ago)

Well, since we all know that my darling hubs not only reads mine but likes to add his two cents to my editorial content, I’m with you.

I don’t regret letting the hubs in on the blog. It’s such a large part of my day that I couldn’t imagine keeping it quiet. However, sometimes he can be a real twit about it too.

Hee hee.

Look for him on tomorrow’s post. He wants a rebuttal.

I’ve decided to give him one.

Snicker.

2. Sarah
    April 3, 2007 at 7:27 pm (10 years ago)

I stayed “in the closet” about my blog for the first few months….then got worried that the longer I kept it secret, the more pissed Hubby would be when I finally did tell him. Now I think he gets a kick out of it (because he’s told his co-workers and his buddies about it), although I definitely find that I do censor myself (regarding sex, in-laws, our bickering) more than I would if no one in real life knew I had it. And every once in awhile Hubby will add his two cents and mention that maybe I “shouldn’t talk about drinking so much”…because it kinda makes me “sound like a lush”….Ummm…I think he just needs to stay home a few days in a row with the 3 boyz and see how much HE drinks!

April 3, 2007 at 7:30 pm (10 years ago)

Tate knows. He’s perplexed. He’s annoyed. But I. DON’T. CARE.

Nanny, nanny, boo, boo.

Thanks for linky love!

4. CharmingDriver
    April 3, 2007 at 7:40 pm (10 years ago)

The couple that blogs together…can blast each other together, heh. I can’t imagine Deels not knowing about mine but I didn’t think he would ever be interested enough to post. I like it though I can see why some keep their corner of the web to themselves.

5. Robyn
    April 3, 2007 at 7:56 pm (10 years ago)

My hubby loves to read my blogs!

By the way, can you pass the info along to me about selling your kids on Ebay? I would greatly appreciate it.

6. AbsolutelyBananas
    April 3, 2007 at 7:58 pm (10 years ago)

that’s funny that you posted this because my husband and I were just talking about this subject! he is my biggest fan; subscribes to both my blogs via RSS and is unfailingly sweet to comment and tell me a post was funny, or good, or… But he’s a special peanut, and can put up with a LOT more than your typical guy (why he married ME I guess…)

7. Swistle
    April 3, 2007 at 8:01 pm (10 years ago)

I didn’t tell my husband for the first few months. Then I found I kept almost accidentally letting something slip, and that was making me feel nervous–almost like I was having an affair or something. I finally told him, because I also wanted to be able to tell him when something good happened, like when someone made a funny comment, or when someone linked to me. He doesn’t read it, though, unless I send him the link to a specific post: I have to be able to vent about him and know he won’t read what I said.

8. Angie
    April 3, 2007 at 9:13 pm (10 years ago)

I told DH about my blog right away. He is subscribed to get emails when I update it. Now, I do slightly regret telling my mother-in-law about it though, as she appears to read it religiously, and I would sometimes enjoy talking about her. πŸ˜‰ LOL

9. Tulipmom
    April 3, 2007 at 9:19 pm (10 years ago)

My husband knows I have one but he’s never read it. And I intend on keeping it that way. He’s actually very interested in reading it, but he respects my need for a little space of my own.

10. Procrastamom
    April 3, 2007 at 9:58 pm (10 years ago)

I forward my husband links to posts when I want him to read them (ie. anniversary posts, birthdays, etc.). Other than that he’s really not interested in my blog. He thinks I’m loonie to be so involved in other people’s lives through blogging, because sometimes I’ll start a conversation with “My friend in Georgia said…” He’s all like, “since when do you know ANYONE in Georgia?”

…since blogging, that’s when!

11. Mama's Moon
    April 3, 2007 at 10:14 pm (10 years ago)

Hubby knows about(and reads) my blog on a regular basis. He finds a lot of comedy in it and is happy that I’m able to find an outlet to let it all hang out. However, there have been one or two incidents in which he couldn’t believe what he found. *shrug* I kindly remind him that he was the one who encouraged me to blog in the first place and that I find no shame in not wanting to sugarcoat things. I think the curiosity gets the best of him. It’s all good though, we’re still happily married!

12. Meg
    April 3, 2007 at 10:36 pm (10 years ago)

Mine knows and reads and sometimes gets pretty peeved… but I’ve told him he has to deal with it, and he does. Like you said, I need my space and a place to vent and it provides just that, at a much cheaper rate than a shrink.

April 4, 2007 at 12:39 am (10 years ago)

Oh he knows about it… I don’t think he cares. In fact, I don’t believe he’s ever read it. Of course, that may change when I start blogging about him (and how he can piss me off). I imagine that might catch his attention!

Hmmm… there’s an idea!

14. Jia
    April 4, 2007 at 1:12 am (10 years ago)

Husband knows I have one (I think) but he’s oblivious to the fact that it actually exists. He passed by this morning while I was looking at it, and asked me what it was. I had to explain again. When I think I’ve written something moving, or hilarious I’ll make him listen to me read it aloud, but I don’t think he’ll ever get the idea to read it himself. I kinda wish he would. I used to have an online journal long ago when we were separated (don’t freak out girls, we were seventeen LOL) and he commented ALOT on my journal. Enough to piss off alot of my friends who didn’t like him LOL!

15. Wendy
    April 4, 2007 at 5:43 am (10 years ago)

Hell no! My husband doesn’t read my blog – he knows I have one in that same vague sense as yours does but doesn’t have the address, has no idea what it really means and for the good of our marriage, my sanity and our life together, must stay that way. I don’t talk badly about him at all but it is my personal space…I need to be able to write without censoring myself or thinking what he would feel if he read something – right there with you – and btw, you are one of my FAVORITE new reads πŸ™‚

16. Jackie
    April 4, 2007 at 5:54 am (10 years ago)

It’s funny but I think that might be the biggest reason I don’t really write a blog. I think my husband would be annoyed – he wouldn’t “get it.” That and the fact I don’t think I have time to read all the blogs I love so much plus write a blog…

April 4, 2007 at 7:38 am (10 years ago)

He knows about mine. And reads it sometimes. Not daily though. bastard.

18. Homemom3
    April 4, 2007 at 8:04 am (10 years ago)

No way, well okay he does know I have one but like your hubby doesnt read it or know what one really is. Phew, safe for a little while longer…guess that means if I mention his constant snoring he’d never know.

19. Dana
    April 4, 2007 at 8:05 am (10 years ago)

My husband knows about mine but he thinks about it more like my personal and won’t read it unless I show him a specific post. I couldn’t keep it a secret because, well, I am just no good at secrets!

20. Kristi
    April 4, 2007 at 9:15 am (10 years ago)

My husband is my tech guy. He designed my blog, changes the banners, does all my updates etc. I consider myself the ‘creative talent’ and him the ‘computer monkey.’

I never intended my blog to be anonymous, though. So I never write about stuff I don’t want my Granny to read about. And my mil reads religiously too. So…uh..yeah, I leave the family rants out.

21. problem girl
    April 4, 2007 at 10:25 am (10 years ago)

My husband knows about my blog. As does my mother, my father, my brother, most of my extended family and my MIL. I’m ok with most of them knowing about. Guess what one I would like to knock off that list.

22. Sandy
    April 4, 2007 at 12:00 pm (10 years ago)

My husband knows I have one but as far as I know hasn’t seen it either other than little glimpses he may get while I write…actually no one in mine or is family see it. I just want the freedom to talk about everyone and exaggerate as much as I want without someone getting offended. It’s MY blog after all…

23. Aldara
    April 4, 2007 at 12:42 pm (10 years ago)

Everybody knows about my blog and hubby will sometimes read it (when I tell him to do it).

24. Melanie
    April 4, 2007 at 1:31 pm (10 years ago)

My husband knows about the blog, and even reads it from time to time, but he knows I treat that as my own little “me space” and respects that.
    Besides, I generally tend not to write things about our relationship; I don’t want to have that argument with him. πŸ™‚
    Thanks for coming by!

25. Shauna
    April 4, 2007 at 3:10 pm (10 years ago)

My blog is still new and it’s mine. All mine. My husband doesn’t know about it. I’m sure he’ll find out about it and when he does, I won’t stop writing about him (or his parents). But for now, I like having my own space, my own time and my own thing.

26. Shelly
    April 4, 2007 at 6:40 pm (10 years ago)

Mine nows but doesn’t care and as far as I know he’s never read it.

27. Shelly
    April 4, 2007 at 6:41 pm (10 years ago)

Oops, I meant my hubby knows, not “nows”. Sorry.

28. Diane
    April 4, 2007 at 6:52 pm (10 years ago)

He knows I blog but doesn’t seem in the least bit interested. Sometimes I’ll read them to him when I’m really upset about something or want to make a jab at someone and don’t want it to be overwhelmingly blatant. He’s pretty laid back and I’m usually open with what’s on my mind, his idiocy included. Surprisingly though, I guess because people read but don’t comment my blogs, he’s not threatened.

29. Sara
    April 4, 2007 at 7:05 pm (10 years ago)

Wow, I’m surprised at how many hubbys read!! I just can’t see him reading one of my rants after a fight and not carrying it over to RL, kwim?

30. Renee
    April 4, 2007 at 7:43 pm (10 years ago)

“My blog is my own version of therapy, minus the couch and box of tissues. It’s how I vent my rants, share my joys, and stop myself from putting the kids up on Ebay.”
    Ha! I love it! I agree. My blog is like therapy to me too. My hubby knows and reads occasionally. It is frustrating when you might wanna share something funny but don’t want the people you know in real life hearing about it. πŸ™‚

31. Velma
    April 4, 2007 at 9:11 pm (10 years ago)

My husband knows about my blog, but I don’t think he’s ever read it. I’m sure he wouldn’t be comfortable with everything I’ve written, which is why I’ve tried to keep it anonymous. I’m not sure I would want him to read it, actually – it’s for me, and I wouldn’t want to feel like I was “performing” for him at the expense of expressing myself.

32. Cris
    April 5, 2007 at 5:53 am (10 years ago)

My husband reads my blog every once in a while-but he does not take anything personally. He married me this way-there is really nothing he can do about it and I believe he has just given up on trying to make me into a Stepford Wife.
    I do wish that I could vent more about my mother-out-law or my mentally unstable brother-in-law. A friend of mine recently told me that my blog was too PG-13 for her and she is used to my “R” rated personality so she suggested that I get an additional blog that only a few people know about. I think I will just leave my true horrible self for my close friends and give the rest of the blog world my “be nice” face.
    I would hate for my husband to stumble on my “and then my mother-in-law tried to poison me” blog. No matter how awful I think that woman is-he thinks she is sweet so I will never win that argument. It is easier to wait her out…

33. MammaLoves
    April 5, 2007 at 6:43 am (10 years ago)

Yeah, he knows about it–knows I blog about him, and he’s cool with it. He doesn’t get it. But he’s cool with it. Reads once a week. Jerk. Doesn’t he realize I love it when my visitor numbers go up?!

34. Jane
    April 5, 2007 at 8:30 am (10 years ago)

My husband knows about my blog and even has it bookmarked on his computer, but I don’t think he’s very interested in it. Every now and then he’ll mention having read something, but I think he misses the majority of the posts and doesn’t bother to catch up.

April 5, 2007 at 8:42 am (10 years ago)

Mine knows. Sometimes I wish he didn’t. I don’t think he’d take too kindly to my ripping him a new one in a “public sphere”. There have been times where I have been busting at the seems to eviscerate him for whatever his latest bungle is.

36. Homemom3
    April 5, 2007 at 9:31 am (10 years ago)

I stand corrected, I decided to go ahead and post about his snoring problem yesterday and needed to go change a diaper. Guess what? Yep, he’d sat down at the computer and read the entry about not sleeping with him anymore and had to read more. lol. Needless to say he now pretends to SNORE on purpose before sleeping and even asks, “Oh does this bother you.” with a giant smile on his face. haha

37. Karen
    April 5, 2007 at 10:05 am (10 years ago)

well, he knows but seems to be doing his best to pretend it’s not really happening. Mostly, I think he just doesn’t get it.

38. sara - The Estrogen Files
    April 5, 2007 at 1:37 pm (10 years ago)

Hubbers knows about the blog. I think he only reads the posts when I specifically send one to him, but he technically “knows”. I don’t post about stuff that’s super private – sex mostly – so it’s G rated enough for HIM to read…

Truthfully, I think he likes knowing that I have this outlet and I DID catch him telling me the other day that I *HAD* to blog about XYZ!

Silly Hubbers, blog is for mommy!

39. Devan
    April 5, 2007 at 7:57 pm (10 years ago)

My husband does not know about my blog. It’s the only place I can bitch about him. πŸ™‚

40. Devan
    April 5, 2007 at 8:10 pm (10 years ago)

I guess I should clarify that he technically knows I have this thing called a blog. He doesn’t know nor seem to care what that is. Don’t ask don’t tell.

41. slackermommy
    April 5, 2007 at 10:41 pm (10 years ago)

Mine reads mine on occasion. That’s how he finds out what I’m pissed at him about. It’s so passive-aggressive. BTW, thanks for your comment on my latest post.

42. Peg
    April 6, 2007 at 9:43 am (10 years ago)

Yes, he knows about it. And he saw how I enjoyed it, and so he started a blog too (but he mostly just writes about triathlon training, which, no offense to triathletes, isn’t exactly scintillating reading all the time!!)

The only thing I’ve found is that I don’t post as much about my inlaws as I might if he were not one of my readers. And, come to think about it, I don’t always post my deepest darkest thoughts about my stepkids, either…explains why I’ve not posted about them in a bit…LOL

43. kellypea
    April 6, 2007 at 2:08 pm (10 years ago)

Not only does he know about it, he conducts obscure Google searches that my blob picks up, then calls me from work to see which strange searches have found me and laughs his ass off. You gotta love ’em.

44. kerry
    April 6, 2007 at 3:21 pm (10 years ago)

My husband does not know about mine either – he knows I love to read my favorite blogs and that I comment but he has no idea that I have one of my own. I don’t think he even knows what a blog is!

45. Annie
    April 6, 2007 at 5:46 pm (10 years ago)

I haven’t started a blog- but am considering it – just enjoying reading everyone elses for now. I doubt my husband would be that interested – it would be ‘whatever keeps you happy love’ from him I’m guessing.

Way to go on this post and all these lovely comments πŸ˜‰

46. Lene
    April 7, 2007 at 8:33 pm (10 years ago)

My DH knows about it, but he doesn’t understand why. He asked me several times what a blog was…lol

47. Angela
    April 8, 2007 at 9:35 pm (10 years ago)

My hubby knows I have one and knows I use it to communicate about our little family with family members out of state and about whatever I’m learning/reading lately. He knows I am in contact with other moms through it and knows a little bit about it.

However, I don’t think he knows the address and I know he does not read it. I don’t keep it from him, he just really does not care. He’s not much of a reader. He has seen it up on my computer a few times and seen individual posts that he is interested in, such as the post I did for my Father’s birthday this week.