I read a post the other day where the author said she was not comfortable doing the [tag]music[/tag] meme making the [tag]blogging[/tag] rounds, because music was such an intensely personal thing.

I haven’t done it because, quite frankly, I have terrible taste in music.

I will admit it, I LOVE music from the 90’s. If I have any XM station on, its the [tag]90’s[/tag] channel. And nothing excites me more than turning the radio on and finding out they are doing the 90’s flashback segment.

This wouldn’t be so terrible to admit, if the music from the 90’s hadn’t been so. damn. awful. Have you ever gone back and listened to it?

“All I wanna do is zoom-a-zoom-zoom-zoom and a poom-poom – JUST SHAKE
YA RUMP!”
Huh? what is a poom-poom, and do I really even want to know?

“Jump Jump
The Mac Dad will make you Jump Jump
The Daddy Mac will make you Jump Jump
Kris Kross will make you Jump Jump “

“I came to get down [2x]
So get out your seats and jump around
Jump around [3x]
Jump up Jump up and get down.
Jump [18x]”
Apparently there was a LOT of jumping going on back then, but I don’t remember doing any of it.

“Informer, you no say daddy me snow me I’ll go blame,
A licky boom boom down.
Detective mon said daddy me snow me stab someone down the lane,
A licky boom boom down.”
I don’t think any of us ever figured out the lyrics to this one.

And one that I still love, from Boyz II Men ‘End of the Road’
“Girl, I’m here for you
All those times of night when you just hurt me
And just ran out with that other fella
Baby I knew about it, I just didn’t care
You just don’t understand how much I love you do you?
I’m here for YOU
I’m not out to go out and cheat on you all night
Just like you did baby but that’s all right “
Thats all right?? If this song were written today, the guy would have bitch slapped her and wished herpes on her and still found some way to make it rhyme.

So yeah, I admit it, I love 90’s music, as awful as it was. You’ll have to excuse me now, I have to go pick my daughter up from school, and they’ve been playing “Can’t Touch This” at around 3:05 every afternoon.

15 Comments on No Music Meme for Me(me)

1. Robyn
    March 29, 2007 at 2:36 pm (11 years ago)

Ah, the 90’s. Nothing brings back memories like big hair and spandex!

2. Jia
    March 29, 2007 at 2:52 pm (11 years ago)

Don’t feel too bad hun, I loved both 80’s and 90’s music!

3. Doggy Mama
    March 29, 2007 at 3:17 pm (11 years ago)

Uh oh, I think I’m gonna have to add a few songs to my iPod after reading this post!

4. Christy
    March 29, 2007 at 5:52 pm (11 years ago)

OMG!! I love those songs. I listen to the 90’s station at home and in my car. Don’t feel alone! LOL

March 29, 2007 at 6:46 pm (11 years ago)

I haven’t listened to anything but Steve sing songs from Blues Clues or Elmo in months. Your picks make me wanna get jiggy wit it.

March 29, 2007 at 11:04 pm (11 years ago)

Sara,

Step away from the 90’s stations and come over to the dark side… all 80’s ALL THE TIME!

You know you want to!

7. amanda
    March 30, 2007 at 4:40 am (11 years ago)

Im obsessed with the 90s channel on xm. And i will have you know, that i have 3 kris kross songs on my ipod, along with several other very incriminating songs

8. Beckie
    March 30, 2007 at 6:27 am (11 years ago)

I happen to like 60’s, 70’s, 80’s and 90’s and very little recent stuff. (Probably cuz I’m too busy listening to the old stuff). And honestly, what does today’s music have to offer? I doubt the lyrics are any better!

9. Dana
    March 30, 2007 at 7:49 am (11 years ago)

My favorite XM Channel is Flight 26. They play a good mix of 90’s and today. My husband recently spent $120 on a collection of ’80s cds. I was excited when it first came in and I listened to all 11 cds the first day. Now, I can’t force myself to put one in unless I want to torture the kids. Another good torture tool for kids is XM Sunny 24…pull up to school, crank up the radio, roll down the windows and sing at the top of your lungs!

March 30, 2007 at 9:47 am (11 years ago)

I totally zoomed zoomed zoomed and probably did it in a poom poom and just don’t know it. And I had tons of fun getting out of my seat and jumping around. Though I got elbowed on the dance floor when someone else came down on their jump and that wasn’t fun. But I was drunk, and numb, and got over it really quickly. And went back to jumping!

And I obviously LOVE Baby Got Back and teach my sons how to dance to it.

90’s music is AWESOME!

11. sara - The Estrogen Files
    March 30, 2007 at 11:23 am (11 years ago)

Yeah, it’s the season I remember best – graduated high school in 1993. I don’t care for the new stuff now and have “graduated” to New Country. Not nasty like the stuff my dad used to listen to, but lovey like I want Hubbers to feel about me. And yes, he’s hooked now too.
    ‘S’all good, ya’ll.

12. Sara
    March 31, 2007 at 6:36 am (11 years ago)

LOL! I am SO glad I am not the only one. The music was horrible, but damnit it was mine!

13. Shelly
    April 1, 2007 at 7:40 pm (11 years ago)

The 80s & 90s channels on XM are my fave. So nice to know I’m not alone.

14. Angie
    April 2, 2007 at 10:49 pm (11 years ago)

You are cracking me up. One of my favorite talk radio guys was discussing songs on his IPod one day a while back and I started laughing, because it shows you, how weird we all are. 🙂

I remember Kris Kross making ya jump too. Now, I’ll be humming that song for the rest of the night and probably wake up humming it tomorrow too. Thanks Sara, thanks a lot.